Chapter One

"Adams, Leigh?" A mumble of assent sounds from the back of the room.

"Avery, Phillip?" Another quiet reply. This goes on for five more minutes. Betcher, Bollinger, Buyer, Caffrey...

"Chase, Elianna?"

"Here!" I wince as my voice comes out sharp and perky. A couple of other students shoot me dirty looks. Hey, if you're taking morning classes, you should be awake.

"Pollack, Lillian?" Another bright and cheery voice replies. It's a short little brunette, up in the very front row.

"Quinn, Carter?" A deep, husky voice mutters confirmation. I freeze. I know that name. I know that voice. My spine remains pin-straight as I turn slowly to face the very back row. Carter Quinn. A former Dark Angel. He was kicked out two years ago for starting riots and attacking the White City, the "Washington D.C." of Heaven. He was only seventeen then, so, like me, he got a lighter sentence. Banishment to Earth.

"Alright, now let's go over the syllabus..." but I'm not paying attention. The only thing I can think of is who died the night of Carter Quinn's attack gone wrong. Kimmie.

***

"Elianna! Elianna! The White City is on Fire!" I spring up at my mother's voice. No. The White City. Everyone heard Carter Quinn's threats, but no one thought he would actually go through with it.

"Mom! Kayla and Kimmie are there! They went to see the Light Side rallies!" Kayla has been my best friend since our apprenticeship together five years ago.

"I know Sweetie, but they'll be alright, I promise. But we have to get going."

We were dressed in minutes, and the carriage was loaded. We were off.

When we pulled up to the city, the walls were engulfed in flames. Millions of angels stood around it, staring at the fire as if they couldn't comprehend what they were seeing.

We all heard the sirens before we could see them. Then the walls were doused in water, and then the city itself. When the smoke cleared, nothing was left. Broken remains of houses and hotels, the most magnificent in Heaven. Gone. The stables were quiet. No cries were heard from the buildings. No one spoke as everyone's gaze turned towards the White Tower. It was black. The souls of all the peaceful angels could be seen above it, floating into space.

The firemen sifted through the city. Bodies were laid outside the walls. I broke away from my mother and headed to the Hotel Arrian. Glass from the once beautiful stained windows crunched under my feet. The door was burned down, the stairs crumbling. But I had hope. I used my wings to fly to the third floor, where I knew Kayla was staying. My heart leapt when I heard a soft scratching. It came from room 317. I pushed the door open, the wood dissolving under my fingers. The scratching got louder. I ran to the back. There, on the balcony, was a flash of shiny blonde hair, caked in charcoal. My heart in my throat, I slowly lifted the door frame from on top. Kayla. Her eyes rolled back, and she coughed.

"Eli? Is it you?" Her voice was scratchy and dry. But she was alive. I didn't respond, but instead fell to my knees and cradled her head in my arms.

"Eli? Where's Kimmie? Where's my sister?" I froze. Kimmie. Kayla felt my hesitation.

"Eli? Eli! Tell my she's okay. Tell me she got out. Please!" She begged. I softly put her head back down, and crept back into the room to search for Kimmie. I turned over matresses, looked in the closet, the bathroom, and the mini-kitchen. Nothing.

"Kayla? Where was Kimmie when the fire started?" I asked softly.

"I think she went down to the dining room for a snack. She has to be okay." She whimpered. I crawled back over and helped her up. She was weak, and had to use my shoulder for support. I limped out of the suite, and back towards the stairs. I flew her down, my wings straining with every beat. The hotel dining room was at the end of the main hall. I couldn't take Kayla any further.

"Kaykay? Stay here, I'll go look." She nodded in response, and I took off. I smashed the dining room door open, and froze. Bodies were everywhere. Men and women, old and young. A small girl with thin brown hair lay in the corner, clutching a teddy-bear as if she were asleep. A boy I recognized from school was splayed across a table, his feet dangling from the edge. But they weren't who I was looking for. I combed through the room. I couldn't find her. And then I saw it.

A pale, slender hand stretched from under an over-turned table in the corner. It didn't move. I moved towards it, my feet weighing a hundred pounds each. Somewhere in me, I knew it was her, and I knew she was dead. But I moved the table anyway.

*****

I feel like such an awful person. Kind of a rough cliffhanger.

So, what do you think? Comment, Vote!