MOMMY DEAREST

ONE WEEK LATER.

"Nanny?" She heard the soft whispering voice of a little girl. Rosalie sighed and flipped to her side and slightly opened her eyes to see Penelope stand beside her bed, her big green eyes looking at her carefully like they usually do.

Rosie looked at the clock. 4:15 a.m. "Why are you awake?" Rosie asked, sleepily standing up from the bed. "What's wrong?"

"Sophia is crying, I think she's having another nightmare." Penelope said, taking Rosalie's hand and leading her out of the room and into the girls shared bedroom.

Sophia sat on the bed, crying her lungs out, it wasn't long before Rosalie heard the baby cry in the next room. "Oh—okay just hold on I'll be right back." She said, rushing to go get the baby and bring him into the room as well.

She sat on Sophia's bed and hugged her as she cried. "What's wrong Sophie?" She asked. The baby was still crying in her arms and so was Sophia. Penelope stood there watching them, unsure what to do. "Penny can you please grab me Eric's bottle?" Rosalie asked and she obeyed bringing it back shortly after.

She fed it to him making him calm down yet Sophia was still crying. "What's wrong?" Rosalie asked.

"I want my mommy." Sophia cried out. The only thing Rosalie could do was stare at her, her eye bags was an obvious clue that she didn't sleep well. The tears slipped from her blue eyes down her rosy freckles cheeks.

Rosalie didn't know what to do. Mr. Styles never told her why the mother was no longer in the picture, though she assumed it'd be quite rude to ask.

Rosalie could only assume the mother must not be around anymore since it's mothers who usually get custody of the kids. Maybe she did something terrible?

Rosie soon felt herself crying. Something about the kids being without a mother made her very sad. Especially with her knowing the kids didn't really see much of their father, it's like they had no parents at all.

Mr. Styles was so invested in his job that he wasn't really there for his children. Even he was lost, and she even felt for him. He didn't even know what to do with his own kids, it's like he purposefully works harder so he doesn't have to deal with it.

They were a broken family and Rosalie was very familiar with that feeling. She kept crying that even Sophia and Penelope stared at her as if she had lost her mind.

Rosalie gestured for Penelope in the hug. She hugged them tightly to her. It had been a week barely and she already felt attached to them, which wasn't unusual for her. She once got so attached to a stray kitten she had seen at her college campus.

The week had gone by fast, it was all easy to Rosalie nothing like she hadn't done before and she enjoyed taking care of them.

"What is going on?" She heard a voice and when she looked up with teary eyes, her blurry vision made out Mr. Styles with a brow raised standing on the doorway, his tie undone whilst he carried a suitcase on his left hand.

Rosalie cleared her throat and broke the hug. She wiped her tears. "Can we talk?" She asks making Mr. Styles nod and gesture to the kitchen.

"I put them to sleep already." Rosalie says, coming in the kitchen where Mr. Styles was sitting at the table with a glass of water in front of him and a bottle of Advil.

"Rosalie are you sure whatever you want to talk to me about can't wait until the morning?" He asks, yawning. "I've a massive headache and I'm jet-lagged."

"No. Besides, you work late." Rosalie points out, sitting on the empty chair on the table.

"I thought I hired you to be my kids' nanny not my secretary." He says, rubbing his temples. "Fine. What is it?" He looked tired.

"Forgive me if this is intrusive," Rosalie begins. "But I must know... where is their mother?" Mr. Styles sat up straight and let out a breath of annoyance.

"Rosalie, this conversation is useless and is preventing me from sleeping the few hours I've got until I go back to work." Mr. Styles says, his hand rubbing his left temple.

"Look, I know I'm just the nanny— but I think I'm entitled to know why Sophia misses her mother so much she wakes up crying." Rosalie blurts out. "She's been doing so this whole week you've been away. There's clearly some trauma there."

"I am not doing this." He said getting ready to walk away. Rosalie stood and grabbed his arm, preventing him from doing so.

"Please," She says. "I just don't want to keep feeling useless when it happens again." At this, Mr. Styles looks up and breathes out before sitting back down on the chair.

"Fair enough," he runs a hand through his hair. "The reason their mother isn't around anymore is because she was nothing but a gold-digger." He says casually making Rosalie sit back. "I wasn't holding up financially for some time so she left us. Left our children for someone else who was."

Rosalie didn't know what to say to this. She wanted answers and she got them... now what? Her mouth felt dry and her train of thought had completely disappeared.

Rosalie thought the reason she wasn't around was maybe because she had passed, leaving them with Mr. Styles— instead, she was very much alive and looking for financial support somewhere else.

"Anyway," Mr. Styles cuts the silence between them and stands up. "I hope this subject doesn't come back up again. I wouldn't want it to become a problem." And with that, he walks away and leaves her alone.

Rosalie didn't know what she expected to get out of this, but she hoped for something that would allow her to help Sophie whenever she woke up crying from a nightmare about her mother.

She knew she had to do something for the sake of those kids, even if it meant getting fired.