Chapter one

Disclaimer: In no way do I own Sherlock Holmes, or any other recognizable characters from within.

~*~

1902

"What will your parents say? Whatever could have possessed you act in such a manner? Not only did you follow a strange man around town, when you're found out, you accuse him of being a murderer! I've never heard of such a thing! These are the actions of a child, not a young lady of fourteen!"

Looking out the window at the passing scenery, I couldn't help but be amused. She did have a point: accusing Mr. John Simmons of being a murderer without having definite proof was not the smartest thing I had ever done. In my defense, I had not expected him to have seen me and reported me to Miss Reynolds.

"Serena Mary Norton! Are you even listening to me?"

"Of course I am, Mrs. Leigh," I responded turning from the window with a smile. "You have said 'what will your parents say?' five times in the past hour alone now. And you have been repeating yourself the whole way. I have tried to be penitent, but I must know. Will I ever be forgiven?"

Mrs. Leigh scowled at me. "You have been sent home from school mid-term, young miss," she scolded sternly. She took her fan out and waved it rapidly. "What would you have done if the mistress hadn't told me to keep track of anything from the school?" She paused, a look of horror on her face.

I laughed out loud. "Exactly so," I responded, and I'm sure my brown eyes were sparkling with mischief. "I would have found a way to come home on my own."

You are out of line, Miss!" Mrs. Leigh protested. "Even in America, such conduct would have been frowned upon! Your mother and father expect you to behave as a lady should! You are not a child anymore, to be humored and amused by. This independent spirit you show is most unbecoming."

I shook her head, smiling fondly. "I don't quite agree with you," I answered, looking out the window once more. "My parents have always encouraged me to use my mind."

"Well, even they would not condone the actions that led to you being sent home," Mrs. Leigh told her sharply. "And you can be sure I will be showing them all of the headmistress' letters when they return."

In an instant, I was serious. "So there has been no word from them?"

Mrs. Leigh sighed and, out of the corner of my eye I saw her brush at some unseen dirt on her black dress. She closed her fan with a snap. "No," she answered. "I have kept the house in readiness just in case they should make a sudden return, as they have done in the past."

"Two months is a very long time!" I objected passionately, clenching my hands into fists on my lap. "There has been no letters or messages! I know something must have happened to them!"

"Oh, don't fret, Miss Serena," Mrs. Leigh advised, her tone softening. "I'm sure they are both preoccupied with your mother's tour."

"I highly doubt a person as practical and cautious as my father would forget his only child," I responded softly. I shook her head as the train began to slow. "Now that I am home, I will find the list of homes Mother was going to and write them all to see what I can find."

Mrs. Leigh's eyes narrowed. "Am I to understand that you purposely got yourself sent home?" she demanded, leaning forward.

"Of course not!" I exclaimed. I paused to consider the suggestion and then shook my head. "No, it would have been too involved. I saw that man hanging around the school and decided to follow him to verify my theory. I know he is a murderer, Mrs. Leigh! However, I never found the proof or who he killed. It will weigh on my mind now."