Chapter 6 - Lion's Den

Chapter 6 – Lion's Den

Someone shook Annabell awake. Groaning heavily, she attempted to swat at the other person.

“Thank god you’re alive!” Joshua sounded out of breath. Carefully, she opened her eyes to see a couple of eyes filled with anxiety above her. Pushing him away, she sat up.

“What happened?” she asked and scanned the area. They were on a small patch of land right beside a streaming river. The sunlight fell on the water, causing shimmers to eject all over. Mesmerized by the beauty, she rocked back and forth on the spot.

“We fell down a waterfall. When I woke up, we were here. Solem, you almost gave me a heart attack. How can you even lie so still?” Joshua stood up, running both his hands through his hair. 

Ignoring his question, she looked up with a frown. “We are far away from the coast now."

"I know. Astral Falls ends in the Astron River, which goes through the whole country. We could be anywhere,” Joshua said. Scratching his head, he tried to look around the area.

He looks so lost, she thought.

A movement caught Annabell’s eyes, reacting instantly she jumped to her legs.

“Joshua … Something is there.” She pointed towards it. With wide eyes, they stared as a giant white Star lion erupted from the bushes. Backing up slowly, Annabell got ready to sprint away. The Star lion’s magnificent head tilted slightly as he looked at them. His eyes were pitch black.

“I think he wants something,” Joshua whispered and took a careful step back. The Lion growled, flashing its deadly jaws at him until Joshua stepped forward again. The animal turned around, looking back at them, and moved his head in a motioning movement.

“Do you think that … he wants us to follow him?” Annabell asked as she looked at the waiting lion.

Joshua took a cautious step towards the lion. The giant creature followed him with his eyes but made no sound. Annabell slowly followed, and after three steps, the Lion began to walk. The two of them shared a confused look before they started to follow the mythical creature further into the land.

“So, where do you think he’s leading us?” Annabell asked.

“I honestly have no idea. Normally Star lions don’t go anywhere near humans,” Joshua said. His eyes were glued to the animal in front of them. She looked between the boy and the animal. He was frowning, and the animal was walking in a steady pace. The white shimmered with every movement—it was almost blinding. The long mane covered half of the back, and the tail swung heavily from side to side.

The myth of the Star Lions was common knowledge. Protectors of the land, bearer of all things magical—they were said to be extinct. Annabell had never believed their existence, and now—as she was walking right behind one—all she could think of was how she wished she could reach out and run her fingers through the hairs on the mane.

So beautiful… And it looks so soft!

“Can you tell me something more about your father, while we walk then?” Annabell asked, fighting the intensifying urge to touch the lion.

“I guess I can. What do you want to know?”

“How did he die?” Annabell asked. She had been wondering about this.

“He was murdered. He was on an impossible mission for the Elders, and never returned,” Joshua said, his voice tainted with bitterness.  

“Didn’t they tell you what happened?”