28th chapter: Advancing towards the end

Mia's PoV

"The time has come, rise guardian and awake from your slumber!"

I was awoken by a strange voice that spoke with me through my dreams. I no longer knew what was going on around me. According to Serenia, Heart's mother and queen of the spirits, my additional power could be the ability to foresee the future through my dreams but lately all that I dreamed about where strange images that I could not decipher, that strange pair of golden wings that stayed imprinted on my mind and finally a strange female voice that always told me to awake from my slumber.

Ever since Heart come back from the spirit world, a couple of weeks ago, I would always dream about the same thing no-stop, the attacks in the school seemed to have ceased but that didn't calm me, instead it put me in an never ending alert state and I was getting more and more tired with every passing day.

I was so tired and confused, and for the first time ever since I had become a guardian I felt lost and without a purpose. It wasn't as if before I knew what I was doing but rather I just let myself go along with the flow and do what I had to do, however, right now I didn't even know if walking forward – which was inevitable – was the right thing to do.

I got out of bed and went downstairs to go get myself a glass of milk and hopefully calm my stomach so that I could find some comfort and maybe fall asleep. The house was oddly quiet, no sound could be heard. As the morning animals we humans were, the silent night could be seen as a dangerous thing and so the body reacted in a wearily way. It was during the night that our senses would work at max whenever an odd sound was heard, a strange smell reached our nose or... and eerily presence was felt.

I immediately placed the empty glass on the kitchen counter and hurried up the stairs to my room. Opening the blinds and the window I stared outside spotting the oddly green light coming from the distance, judging from the position I'd say it was coming from–

"The school!" Heart exclaimed behind me.

"You felt it too?" I asked as Heart approached the window and looked below.

"And it appears I was not the only one."

Below us, on the streets, a number of people were leaving their homes and walking towards the green light, if I didn't know better I would say they were the students that had been previously controlled.

Grabbing a jacket from my closet I put it on and looked at the clock. It was 4:15 a.m. which meant I had less than two hours to put everything back together before almost everyone from the city started to wake up and notice their children missing, my mother included.

"Let's go, Heart!" I exclaimed walking hastily towards the doors of my room.

"Wait, we might wake your mother up." he warned stopping me by placing his hand on my shoulder.

"What do you suggest then?" I asked and Heart smiled mischievously.

Grabbing me in a bride style he warned me to hold on tight and jumped out of the window from the second floor giving me the fright of my life.

"Please don't do that again." putting me down as my bare feet touched the cold ground, I pleaded and he just smiled.

"I cannot promise."

Reyen's PoV

I couldn't sleep. My brain was playing tricks on me. Every time I tried to close my eyes I would hear a voice whisper not yet and be forced awake. I didn't know what was going on but it was surely not something I had ever heard about.