2: Princess Revolutionary

They did not stay late in the restaurant; George noticed that Maria was not paying full attention to the conversation, which was in English, and asked if she was tired: 'English is difficult for you, of course, but as you are staying for a while it would be wise to practise.'

'Yes, I am tired,' she agreed. 'Perhaps I should sleep.'

'We'll walk back to Curzon Street,' said George, and hailed the waiter to ask for the bill.

They stepped out into the lamp-lit street. There was very little traffic, just the occasional taxi plying for hire, but George thought that the walk would be good for Maria 'and will help you sleep.'

Maria, holding his arm, smiled at him. 'You are so thoughtful, beloved,' she said.

Behind them, Leon, Mirabelle and Raymond winced.

As they walked along the street, two figures walked towards them on the other side. Mirabelle waved as she recognised them as WPC Busby, this time with her colleague WPC Lilian Pearce. Leon, Raymond and George raised their hats; Maria was puzzled.

'Who are these?' she asked, as Busby and Pearce saluted, and Busby crossed the street towards them, leaving Pearce on the other pavement.

'Policewomen,' explained George. 'They work with Inspector Meadows at Scotland Yard.'

'Policewomen? Are they like women soldiers?' Maria appeared alarmed at the thought, but Busby simply touched her hat to the group and handed Leon a piece of folded paper. 'Summons from the inspector,' she said briskly. 'You're to come round to the Yard later to explain yourself.' She tipped her hat to them all and strode back to join Pearce, and the pair continued on down the road.

'Odd,' said Raymond, 'I would expect to see PC Rivers or Wallingford on this beat.'

'Perhaps there is trouble elsewhere tonight and the men have been called away,' said Mirabelle, who was pretty sure she knew why Busby and Pearce were here: Meadows had sent them to keep an eye on Maria.

'So what are you summoned for?' George asked Leon, who unfolded the note, read it and folded it up again.

'Speeding round London,' said Leon. 'I'll go and see him this evening and sort it out.'

'I'll come too,' said Mirabelle, 'I can support you.' She turned to Raymond. 'Will you come too, Raymond? You can help to explain.'

Raymond realised that 'speeding round London' was connected to Maria. 'Yes,' he said. 'I can explain what happened.'

So the party walked back to Curzon Street, where Maria bid everyone a gentle 'Good night' and retired to her room; George went to his office, and the other three changed out of their evening clothes into their normal day clothes - more suited for police business - and went out again. Mirabelle took a different bag, but ensured that she moved her gun into it. She was also sure that Leon and Raymond were armed. When one was with the Just Men, it was as well to be ready for anything.

* * *

Inspector Meadows was waiting for them in his office in Scotland Yard. 'Don't you people ever sleep?' he asked.

'You summoned us,' retorted Leon. 'The eye of the Law must be ever wakeful, and Justice never sleeps. Besides, we need to move before Maria does. Old Simon Bergstein has already invited her to address an anarchist meeting.'

'Where?' demanded Meadows.

'He didn't mention a location; he just said "soon".'

'I see,' said Meadows. 'Well, I have some information that will interest you; Maria of Gratz did not arrive at Croydon alone. That was how she slipped past my men; they were expecting a lone woman traveller, and she arrived on the arm of a young man, acting the role of the loving wife.'