Appendix: Deleted Scene

(George's and Maria's exit from Thorney Manor)

Busby had fired at the gunman whom Digby had discovered, but rather than pursue him she had waited until he had vanished downstairs and then went to tell Manfred that the way was clear. 'I don't know who that gunman was, but he's gone,' she said. 'Digby and Pearce have gone after him.'

'I think this is our opportunity to leave,' said George, getting to his feet. Nurse O'Leary picked up her bag and the bags that George and Maria had brought with them. George bent and folded blankets around Maria, and then lifted her into his arms. She moaned slightly with the pain of movement, then managed a weak smile. He smiled tenderly into her eyes, and carried her out of the room, just behind Busby, who led the way, gun at the ready.

They went quietly along the landing and down the stairs into the hall. The sounds of voices and gunshots reached them from the other side of the house, but they did not go to investigate; only Busby looked around cautiously, then said: 'It's OK. They're out of sight,' and led the way towards the green baize door which opened into the service section of the house.

Once through the green door, they could breathe a little more easily. Busby hurried ahead, holding doors open for George, who seemed to be carrying Maria as easily as if she was the weight of a feather. Nurse O'Leary brought up the rear, with the bags. They went down the passageway that led past the kitchen, but rather than go out of the scullery they turned down another corridor and came out into the kitchen garden. They crossed this quickly, through a gate in the wall and out on to the lawns that led down to the Thames.

Now George walked more quickly, holding Maria close to him; and O'Leary hurried alongside him. Busby spun on her heel, gun at the ready, looking all around them. They were half way towards the river when a voice shouted: 'Stop!' and a bullet whistled past George's ear. Busby immediately spun round and fired back. There was a scream of pain and Busby smiled satisfaction. 'Got him. You go on; I'll catch you up.'

George was loath to leave her, but he realised the necessity of getting Maria to safety. He hurried down the lawn to the river's edge, where the long river boat was waiting. Leon jumped on to the quayside to help George get on to the boat; Mirabelle took the cases from Nurse O'Leary. George bore his wife down into the cabin and laid her gently on the bed that Mirabelle and Leon had prepared for her. Nurse sat down on the nearest chair and took several deep breaths.

'I hope I never have to do that again!' she exclaimed. 'In the open, with who knows who about to fire at us ... is the little policewoman all right?'

'That's WPC Busby to you, Nurse,' retorted a voice from the deck. 'I've got the miscreant.'

On deck, Mirabelle and Leon were looking at Busby's prisoner. She had shot him in the right hand, but apart from the loss of blood he was not severely damaged. He was, however, in a very bad temper. 'Who are you people?' he demanded. 'Why are you protecting that criminal? I have orders from his excellency the Spanish ambassador to arrest her and bring her back to Madrid to face justice for murders committed twenty years ago. How dare you stand between that woman and justice?'

'She was pardoned for her crimes in England,' retorted Busby. 'Where's your extradition order?'

The other snorted and spat.

'I think we need to teach our guest some manners,' said Leon to Mirabelle.

'Let's introduce him to the Inspector,' Mirabelle replied.'

'An excellent idea. Can you look after him for a moment while I brief WPC Busby?' Leon gave her a broad, boyish grin and turned to the policewoman. Mirabelle opened her handbag, drew out her Browning pistol, took off the safety catch and pointed it at their visitor. 'Please stand quietly,' she said, smiling her sweetest smile. 'We won't keep you waiting long.'