7. A Day of Surprises

J A S O N ' S   P O V :

I stood at the front of the class while my friends and I looked around the class intently. Yes, the rogue problem had been growing, but the thought that the most wanted wolf could be among them made my skin crawl. Something this vile could be close - right under our noses in fact. Caleb and Ryder glanced around, and I knew their sharp sense of sight and smell were aiding them in the hunt.

Glancing around, I noticed that the human from the other day is in this class. It is titled "Future Business and Economics", but all we do is sit around and the teacher hung out in the back. It was created by my dad and introduced to the school as a way for me, my beta, and gamma to have a time to meet and discuss classified material. This kept the humans here from being suspicous.

Luckily, Evelyn wasn't in this class, so I wouldn't be annoyed and distracted by her nonsense. I was planning to confront my parents tonight about the whole 'mate' ordeal. I found it odd that I couldn't stand her as much as I did.

Continuing my search, my eyes landed on that human again. She glanced up, only meaning for her eyes to drift for a second, but then they met mine. My wolf lowly growled as our eyes locked and a small friendly smile graced her face before she turned to her friend. I mentally rolled my eyes at my wolf.

"What was that about?" I ask Ethan as I looked around the room, not really processing what I was seeing.

"Something just seems... off, about her. I can't exactly figure out what, but her scent is throwing me off."

I turn to my packmates, and send a message through pack mind link. "Keep alert today for anyone with unusual scents, and watch out for any strange activity. That is all."

Just before I can shut off all mind links, a rather annoying voice rang through my head. "Sweetheart, is everything okay?"

Evelyn, ugh. I couldn't stand her. I absolutely could not stand her. "Yes. Everything is fine. Don't worry." And with that, I closed the mindlink.

The same human girl caught my eye and sent me a skeptical look. Almost as if she had noticed I had zoned out, not that she knew it was a mind link. She turned back to her friend, and they picked up the conversation where they left off. I shook my head. No more distractions, this was work time.

....

Heading to lunch, I turned to Caleb and Ryder. "Do you actually believe that the most wanted wolf in the nation is hiding in our pack right under our noses?" I knew they had their doubts, who wouldn't? Without any proof, these accusations sounded like complete and utter madness.

"There is only one person to talk to." They both nodded their heads in agreement. The only person who could tell us if the rogue wanted wolf was on our territory would be the local witch, Martha, who acted as a farmer and gardener to those that didn't know her. If she gave out a scent hiding potion, she would most definitely pay.

When we walked into the lunch room, Evelyn threw on an innocent smile as she walked up to me and pressed her forehead to mine, wrapping her arms around my waist. For some reason, the smile she held threw me off. It wasn't like her, but my wolf felt happy and content at the sight.

"Hey Jace, how was your class today? Because I missed you," she bopped me on the nose when she finished and gave a sweet smile. "Let's go eat, shall we?"

I nodded, and followed her to sit down at our usual table, in the center of the cafeteria. Ryder and Caleb were busy talking to Tracy and her friend too much to notice a girl staring intently at them. Yes, humans were sometimes able to feel the power radiating from us, but it looked like it was something different.

Looking closer, I noticed the girl was sitting with her purple haired friend, who upon seeing me glancing in her direction, applied some perfume. Strangely, it didn't smell like anything on her human scent. Strange.

"That's it!" Ethan cried, as he began formulating a plan in my head.

"What is?" I asked back. This wasn't making any sense. How was he...

"We find the wolf by checking perfumes or potions people have. If we find a masking potion, we find an unwanted wolf, most likely a rogue, putting us one step closer to finding our wolf."

I nodded. That did make sense. Turning my attention back to the girl, she just kept intently staring at the table, but more specifically one person. Strange.

...

My wolf has been freaking out for the last half hour. Every time I ask him if something is wrong, he just ignores me and continues his pacing in my head. Caleb, Ryder, and I left school early to go see the witch in town. I only hoped that she could tell us who it was.

For some reason when we pulled up to the small, quaint, property, my wolf went berserk. He kept on mumbling things, saying "She's here," and gibberish like that. We walked up to the front and knocked on the door. I didn't really know what to expect. Was she an old wrinkly hag? Or was she sweet like my grandmother?

The one thing I was definitely not expecting was the purple and blonde haired human girl who opened the door.

"Wh-What are you doing here?" She looked confused, but beyond that she looked... fearful. What did she have to fear, though? Maybe it was just the power radiating off of me. *Brushes fake dust off shoulders* I do sometimes have that effect on people.

"What are you doing here? And where is Martha, we really need to speak to her..."

Suddenly a red head appeared next to the human at the door. Her scent smelled of witch, so I knew this was her.

"Oh Jason, you've arrived. C'mon in, don't mind Kara here, she just moved in a little while ago.."

Why wasn't I made aware of this? Yes, she was a human, but I was often told when even a human transferred to the town. I'd have to question that later.

But for now, I had some business to attend to.

And for some reason, my wolf was telling me to get rid of Evelyn on the spot.

...

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!

I have been updating pretty regularly, and I will try to keep up a similar schedule as I continue to fully write the story!

NOTE: Since this is one of my first stories, by the time I am done, there will most likely be holes in the plot and under developed characters, etc.

Anyway, I will go back and edit everything once I finish.

Also... If you like this story, go check out my new Science Fiction story as well!

IT IS CALLED:

THE DRAGON OF MY DREAMS

PLEASE READ, VOTE AND COMMENT!

...

READ. VOTE. COMMENT.

-HK2457