Chapter 13: The Third Party

Tom stood in the middle of his room surrounded by five holographic projections. Each window showed information on a different person.  Tom looked puzzled. He took a few steps back and sat down. The windows followed him, each moving in random pattern and rearranged in front of his eyes.

Three people were found dead on the streets yesterday and two more this morning.   All victims were killed with a powerful laser weapon. All of them had a record of brain damage – either from accidents or reconditioning procedures. A single victim was struck by a powerful blow and had his chest shattered to pieces before getting shot.

The attacker was always quick to leave the scene. Witnesses said that the attacker used a cab to escape.

Tom had reanimated three bodies and asked for information on the killer. All of them said that they couldn‘t see the face of the attacker due to the hooded cape he was wearing.

A few cameras had recorded one of the incidents.  The attacker was blurred the same way as Ermac during his visit. He moved fast, killed the victim and disappeared in a few seconds. His speed and strength was superior to that of a common man.

The killer was making sure that no vessels were left for The Outsider to possess. Apart from Tom there was only one more faithful protector of the ship - the Navigator’s security program Stacy.

The strength to shatter bones, the cloaking device to protect his identity from cameras, the large laser weapon, which probably was taken from one of the ship’s defense vaults only Landau, Ermac and Stacy knew of. All facts pointed that it was the work of the damn artificial intelligence. She must have found a way to the city networks and got herself a living toy.

That stupid program… Tom cursed Stacy in his head. Now he had to worry not only about The Outsider but about Stacy’s toy on the rampage too.

After a minute of thinking, Tom had figured who must have had his fingers all of in this. He shut down all the holographic windows and ran out of the office.

******

“I’m here to meet Cyrus Everton,” Tom told to the administrator at the bio-labs.

 “He is waiting for you, please proceed to the elevator.”

Tom strode towards the elevator. He was slightly annoyed that Cyrus had lied to him. After Tom connected all dots it was clear that Cyrus worked for Stacy.  She was the reason why the scientist had betrayed him. 

Tom felt anxious to have a conversation with Cyrus and see what he had to say. He stepped into the elevator and pushed the button. As elevator moved up he noticed that all hallways were silent and empty. Uneasiness filled Tom. Was he walking into a trap?

He got out of the elevator and ran to Cyrus’s office, his steps echoed in the dead silence.  When Tom was close to Cyrus’s office its door opened. The scientist was sitting behind his desk, smiling.

“Hi Tom, I was expecting you,” Cyrus said, smiling, “Give your feet some rest.”

Tom sat down and laid back. He replied, “Hi, the building looks a little empty today. Any idea why?” Tom used an arm to hold his chin.

“I asked everyone to leave and have a day off.”

 “Are you expecting some disaster?”

“Yes I am. You will survive it, but I— Cyrus paused.  “—probably won’t.”

“Tell me, why did you lie? Did Stacy make you do everything?”

“No, I did it all on my own will.” Cyrus looked deeply into Tom’s eyes.  “She brought a man to my door and I accepted him. I gave him everything she asked.”