eighty two

he's shaking.

i stare at his hands from across the table, and i don't care if that's creepy, because all of this is creepy.

his hands are shaking, and he taps his fingers against the table to hide it.

that would normally be suspicious, but i'm not going to note it. i have a plan, and enough evidence already.

he's pretty, i think; his hair is messy and curly, falling in his eyes, which are rich brown. not that i would say that to him, because if he's who i think he is...

i'm shaking too.

i clear my throat.

"erm, excuse me. i'll be right back, i need to go to the restroom."

he smiles at me and nods, playing with his fingers.

"i'll be here," he says softly.

in another life, maybe i'd like him. if i didn't suspect him of murder.

maybe if we got out of this and it's not him, we could go on another date.

i stepped behind the wall, leaning against it and taking a deep breath. i took out my phone. now or never.

i had four messages from pj.

peej ; PHIL

peej ; THEY FOUND CHRIS

peej ; he's alright !!!

peej ; confused but alright they found him behind this building downtown

i grinned.

phil . ; oh thank god

i bit my lip, peaking around the corner at dan. he was still playing with his fingers, and he brushed some hair out of his eyes. i opened my chat with sunshine. i started typing.

phil . ; i need to tell you something

phil . ; i'm on my date with dan, but i've realized something. i love you, i think i have for awhile

phil . ; you've done so much to make sure i was protected and didn't hang around with the wrong people, and it's actually v cute

phil . ; i am madly in love with you, and i want to be yours. you win.

my heart was beating right out of my chest. christ. i glanced around the corner, but a waiter was standing between dan and i, so i couldn't see him anymore. damn. damn.

sunshine is typing ...

fuck. i still couldn't see dan, i wanted to punch something.

ping.

sunshine ;      d o  y o u  t h i n k  i ' m  f u c k i n g  s t u p i d ,  p h i l ?

my breath caught.

the waiter moved out of the way, finally, and i could see dan. he wasn't touching his phone, it sat on the table in front of him.

but he was staring at me, nonblinkingly, his brown eyes fixed on mine.

i whirled around, and ran.