Clipboard Guy

"Good morning Reese, how are we feeling today?" Dr. Olivers questioned in his usual upbeat tone as he entered my room, locking the heavy door behind him.

"Just wonderful. Enlighten me, how's the weather today? You know, since I can't check for myself." I sarcastically remarked. Olivers let out a half hearted laugh, clearly unsure of  how to answer my snotty comment.

There was an awkward pause before Olivers finally began to speak. "Its raining with a high chance of morning medication." And of course his reply was so delayed that the attempted joke wasn't funny anymore.

He handed me a plastic cup filled with water and two large pills. "Why am I taking these again?" I swallowed them quickly hoping to miss that dreaded taste.

"The red is to stabilise your mood swings, and the blue are to help with the depression." Olivers informed as he glanced up from his familiar blue clipboard, he was clearly trying to be as vague as he possibly could.

I let out a quiet laugh, "you mean to make me a little less crazy?"

Olivers ignored my comment, again probably unsure of what to say. "The nurses are thinking about allowing you downstairs today, you could join in with some art."

"As amazing as that sounds, I don't think I'm up for playing happy and painting flowers..."

"You've been in this room for three days now. I understand it's tough Reese, but you must believe me when I say we do this for your benefit."

Dr.Olivers paused for a brief second as he let out a sigh, "Look, initially you're only supposed to be allowed out on your fourth day, however your a lot calmer than the majority of patients that are admitted. We will see what we can do for you." With that he began to walk toward the door.

"Dr.Olivers," I said in an almost questioning tone.

"Yes Reese?" He turned to face me.

"Thank you."

Dr.Olivers smiled in response before walking out and locking my door.

Three days doesn't sound like a long time, and under normal circumstances it isn't. However, three days locked in a room with no source of entertainment felt like a lifetime. We're talking no books, no television, no computer, phone, music, not even a pen and paper. I know that mental institutions are supposed to help you get better, but never before in my entire life had I felt worse than what I did those first two nights.

Minutes felt like hours, hours felt like days and days felt like years. The only human contact I had was Dr. Olivers who would occasionally check up on me to give me my meds and a tray of soggy food, then there's the weird lady that peeks through my door every half an hour, other than that, no one.

After Dr.Olivers had left I decided to take a nap. Sleeping was my only outlet; my only escape.

And so I drifted off into a happier place.