A Strange Night

It is amazing how quickly life can change. Over the course of a year or even a week, you can look back and not believe that the memories in your head had been your life. That something can change so much but still be true. I still don't believe what happened to me sometimes but all I have to do is look around me, the proof is everywhere. Every once in a while I wonder what would have happened to me if everything hadn't changed. But do I really want to know? Time may be fleeting but the truth will always be the truth no matter the amount of time passed. Nothing can change a story that rings true.

"Alison! Get off that damn phone and do the dishes!" I continue to ignore her and listen to my music,"Alison, I know you can hear me! " She stood in the doorway to my room, hands on her hips. She was still in her yoga clothes. Lately she had been going through a health faze. 'Healthy' foods for every meal lately. Which means I have been eating out at the A&W down the block almost everyday. She rips the cords out of my ears.
"Hey, what the heck?" I rolled off the bed, retrieving my phone from her hand.
"I asked you to do the dishes while I was at yoga, and I wonder why they are still in the sink? I swear I am the only one in this family that does anything! If it wasn't for me we would be living in a pigsty!" She continued complaining to no one in particular as she storms out of my bedroom and down the hall. I stare at the wall in front of me blankly not wanting to move. I suppose I should do the dishes, but then again I've done them every night for the past month, it's my little sister Monica's turn to do something. I walked out into the kitchen/dining room/living room of our apartment. It reeks like old pizza and growing mildew. Hopefully our landlord will look into it, but probably not. Mom looked up from leaning over Monica's head, pulling her hair into a tight braid. She relinquished her hold of Monica's hair and seeing her opportunity, Monica leapt away from our mother.
"And where do you think you are going?" She said obviously implying that I am not to go anywhere.
"I'm just going to take the trash out," I said through gritted teeth.
"And then are you going to do the dishes?"
"Yes mother."
 "Excuse me?"
"Of course, mommy," I rolled my eyes, grabbed the trash and left the apartment. I threw the trash bag beside the stairs, I'm sure someone will pick it up later. I skip down the stairs two at a time trying to limit the creaking noises of the stairs as I went. We have a nosy neighbour that way too often complains that "that girl runs down those stairs like a herd of elephants." Exiting the building I go the opposite direction of the dumpster and start towards A&W, strolling down the pot hole filled street, kicking at bits of garbage along the road. I take my iPhone earbuds out of my sweater pocket. I click on my most recently called contact: my best friend Molly.
"Oh its this loser again, what do you want?" She says boredly, the sarcasm implied.
"Meet at A&W? I'm heading there now," I say as I kick a can and it skitters across the pavement.
"Fine but Xander is coming too,"I groan, Xander is her geek of a boyfriend, which means they're perfect for each other. It also means that they are incredibly obnoxious to watch.
"Fine but only if he pays.See you in five," I hang up without waiting for a reply. I walk past Neil, your friendly neighbourhood creep. A bird-boned highschool boy who lived down the street. Annoying but relatively harmless.  He perched on top of a stair railing, puffs of smoke trailing from his mouth.
"Hey Baby!" He drawls out the end of the word like he was trying to impersonate every gangster he's seen on tv. He hopped off his perch and sauntered over to greet me in the road. "I've been waiting for you. I knew you'd come, they always do," he smiles a cheesy smile that stretched cheek to cheek.
"Leave before I sock you in the face," I said calmly as I continue walking toward the orange light of the setting sun.
"Come on don't be like that baby!" He said tapping my shoulder so I'd turn around.
"I don't have time for this Neil. Do you want another black eye?" Last time he had touched me I punched him in the eye. I didn't mean to hit him, it just happened. I half heartedly apologized while Molly laughed until she was crying.
Neil spread his hands apologetically, "Alright, alright. Jeez was just trying to make conversation!" Under his breath he mutters,"bitch," as he turned away. I spun around and hit him in the jaw. It wasn't hard, just enough for him to get it. Overdramatically he fell onto the street cradling his jaw and fury in his eyes. I didn't wait long enough to see what would happen next. I took off running.
I arrived breathless at A&W pushing through the door. Molly and Xander were already in line waiting to order. They leaned on each other like they couldn't stand without help from the other. I've learned to ignore this (almost.) I lean against the counter as they order, tired from my run.
"Why are you out of breath, what did you do, run from Chicago?" Molly asked, eyeing me up and down.
"Punched Neil. Ran. Cheese burger combo. Here." I hand her a ten dollar bill and sluggishly(and pathetically) made my way over to a booth, collapsing and resting my head on the table. I sat with my eyes closed as I regained my breathing. I feel them shake the table as they follow me into the booth. I can smell the food, so I raise my head slowly and reach out to grab my burger.
"Are you ready to talk in full sentences now?" Molly said like she's talking to a baby.
"Depends, did you get me ketchup?" I asked, poking through the bag.
For the next hour, we talked, laughed, and joked around with each other. The sun slowly set until the only lights are from the stores and street lamps. I feel a buzz in my pocket.
"Crap my mom's pissed. I didn't do the dishes, take out the trash or help with supper. I better go before she wants my head.I guess I'll see you guys tomorrow then," I stood up but fall immediately back into my seat. A black cloud seemed to roll over my mind, temporarily blocking out everything. My stomach lurched and my breathing haltered. I gasp as I stare at my feet. That's what you're supposed to do when you feel like you are about to pass out. Or is that throwing up?
"Are you okay?" Molly asked.
"I'm alright I guess I just stood up too fast." I smiled and waved as I head out the door. 

The dizziness didn't go away as I walked down the street. My head felt lighter than normal and black spots danced across my vision like I had been staring at the sun too long. In the orange streetlight I walked alone, the patter of my footsteps the only noise on the empty street. My footsteps lose their rhythm as I stumble from the dizziness. My eyesight swam and bounced like a tv losing its signal. I spot a park bench ahead and try to run to it before my legs lose the ability to carry me. I come within five feet of the bench and collapse into the grass. I stare at the sky above, my head feeling like its floating and falling at the same time. I closed my eyes to steady my head. My hands and feet tingle with pins and needles.The feeling of unconscious slipped slowly over me like a cold water. 

I woke up to a hand on my neck. I opened my eyes slowly.The orange light wasn't from a streetlight anymore but from a fire in a lantern held over me by two men. Their strange appearance magnified in the light making their faces look gaunt and their long hair ghastly.  They looked like they could be brothers.

"She does look familiar to me, Theodore. She is a fair thing, is she not?" The one man said.

"Nathaniel, do not let the missus hear you talking like that. Oh I think I know of this woman. She belongs to the duke doesn't she? I believe she is Elizabeth Hemerton!" The man named Theodore said.

"The missing daughter? I bet that if we deliver her , he will be so appreciative of us finding her that he will relieve us of our payments this month!" Nathaniel said smirking at his own genius. I assume that I'm dreaming but as my senses got sharper I realize I'm not. I groggily raise myself off the ground. I stood up brushing my jeans off and take a look around. I was standing at the edge of a dirt road surrounded by forest. It was just slightly snowing. A neighing sound catches my attention. Nearby was a carriage pulled by two well groomed horses that kept pawing the ground like they were anxious to run. The two men, Nathaniel and Theodore, were wearing long black cloaks which is odd for around here. Or anywhere. I took a few cautious steps back.

"Oh Dear Lord, she's indecent! Only in her undergarments!Quick Nathaniel give her your cloak!" Nathaniel quickly wraps his cloak around me trying not to look as he did so. Under the cloak he was wearing an old outfit fit with breeches and a waistcoat. Maybe they are part of a reenactment.

"Let us bring you to your estate now miss," he said pulling me quickly into the carriage. I plop onto the seat and wince when it impacts with a cold hard seat. Not a luxury carriage I'm guessing. The two men sit across from me peering curiously (and creepily) at me. I pull the cloak and bit tighter around my body.

" I'm not Elizabeth, my name is Alice and where am I? If I could just tell you my address could you drop me off, I'm sure my mom will be looking for me and she knows where I went." I lied.

"Oh dear she must be delusional from the trauma of whatever happened. It is alright we can protect you now. You've been missing for nearly two years now miss, your parents will be eager to get you back." He said as the carriage started forward with a jolt.

"Wait how long?"

"Two years my lady. It is 1756 now." 

"Wait, what did-ya just say?"