His Time

If there was anything Adrien didn't believe in the most, it had to be the possibility of having a soulmate. It was an age-old story: two people would meet the moment the final seconds of the time on their wrists were to go out. Just a glimpse. A touch. Nothing more, and definitely nothing less. It was fate, destiny, written in the stars — however they call it. Forever was promised to the couple, and that was one thing that he did not understand on how his family could become the only exception he knew of.

His father met his mother before her time was up. Gabriel Agreste's time run out as he saw a beautiful lady walk into his tailoring shop. Honey blonde hair, and deep, enchanting green eyes. He said she was the one, until the girl shrugged and showed him her time: a year. A year was still ticking away on Lillian Bellerose's arm, yet she felt the exact same feeling as Gabriel did. The two couldn't explain how they had defied the norm of their society, but as long as they knew what it was, they held onto it. That is... after a year passed, and Lillian's time had run out.

You could only think that her love for Gabriel was stronger, but it seemed like she could not fight fate when it hit her. She left the Agreste household, leaving little Adrien behind, without even a proper goodbye because she was ashamed of her fate — and because she, too, had dreamed for her soulmate to come.

Living under the grief and remorse of his father, Adrien tried to never mention his mother, but the sight of him alone could cause Gabriel's heart to break over and over. His son took after his mother — even with those same pair of soul-searching eyes. As much as he was hurt over the fate of his family, never did he wish the same to happen to Adrien. Above all things, he hoped that it would be different for his son. He might not show it to him, but he deeply loved him with all that was left of his heart.

The park was not exactly far from the bakery. Adrien knew he could arrive there in less than two minutes with his awfully long strides, but on the other hand, his friend Marinette was a different, and definitely shorter picture. She did not wear anything to hide her time — an hour and a half left on her wrist. Adrien knew how important this was to her friend, and he could never forget the pact he made with her two years ago.

Then, he was the new kid. Fresh from the cities in the East Coast, his father wanted a change of scenery. What seemed to be a European vacation, turned into a permanent residence. Adrien thought it was a good start. He could finally leave the place where he knew his mother once stood. Staying in Paris was rather unexpected for him, but what was more unexpected was a bright-eyed, dark haired teenage girl who was holding out a box of macarons on their doorstep. And as if something had clicked back into place, Adrien knew this girl was going to change everything he believed in. One thing led to another, and the pair became the most unlikely of friends, and as Adrien wanted, they both promised to be there for each other, even at the moment their time runs out.

"What do you think he'll look like?" Marinette asked out of the blue, almost near the park.

Adrien shrugged with a smile. "He can't be any more handsome than I am, that's for sure."

She playfully punched his shoulder, "You're so full of yourself, Mr. Agreste."

"Well, I kind of have every right to be, bugaboo," he replied.

There weren't much people in the park. Other than the two of them, there was a woman strolling around with a baby carriage. Adrien felt Marinette freeze beside her. Her eyes were getting glassy, and her face suddenly drained out of blood.

"What if... he isn't here?" She spoke out in a soft tone, her breathing starting to get heavy. She was having a panic attack.