Twenty-Six - We Get It

We Get It

The next couple of months go by slowly. Alex and Connie continue to live with us and Charlene rents an apartment two minutes away from the hospital. The days get shorter and the nights get colder. Eventually we are left with a dreary looking winter.

‘I hate June,’ Alex mumbles as we walk through the school gate.

‘My birthday is in June,’ I laugh.

‘Well, that makes it better,’ he slings his arm around my shoulder and pulls me in close.

His black, fleece jacket is so warm.

‘Come on, love birds,’ Jesse laughs.

She grabs me by the collar and drags me over to our lockers. Alex kisses me on the cheek before she does though.

‘You two are so cute together,’ she coos, ‘it’s disgusting.’

I just laugh and shake my head. She shoots me a look.

‘So, what date are you up to?’ I ask her.

Her smile is so big I’m shocked her face doesn’t split.

‘Number six is on Friday,’ she squeals.

‘Awesome,’ I laugh.

‘When are you guys going on number ten?’ she says softly.

‘Not sure, Alex hasn’t said.’

‘Well, why don’t you ask?’

‘Can I do that?’

‘I don’t see why not.’

‘But it’s their competition.’

‘I honestly don’t see anything wrong with you asking when the next date is.’

‘I guess,’ I shrug.

I unpack my bag into my locker. All of a sudden, Alex has grabbed me by the shoulders and spun me around to face him. I look at Jesse only to find Jackson has done the same to her.

‘The teachers are on to us,’ Alex whispers in my ear.

‘What are you talking about?’ Jesse laughs.

A few kids in the locker room stare as they walk past.

‘Quiet, now, do exactly as we say,’ Jackson says.

‘Finish putting your bags away and then go straight to homeroom. Don’t talk to anyone, just ignore them all,’ Alex says.

‘Go to your normal classes and sit as far away from us as you can,’ Jackson says.

‘At lunch, we are going to sit with the guys down at the field,’ Alex says.

‘You two must go and sit with the girls.’

‘During last period, a teacher is going to call you, one at a time, to the office.’

‘We know this because we just saw the list. Both of you are in last period.’

‘It is crucial neither of you even hint at knowing about the date challenge.’

‘Even knowledge about it could end in suspension.’

‘Sav, they’ll probably believe you if you say that we’ve just become really close since my dad’s accident.’

‘And Jesse, tell them that your brother and I are really good friends.’

‘Do you understand?’ they both ask.

‘No,’ Jesse and I say at the same time.

Then we both smile. I kiss Alex on the lips and Jesse kisses Jackson on the cheek.

‘We get it,’ we both laugh, ‘we’ll see you after school.’

Then we go our separate ways to homeroom.