Chapter 5

Nyree

I held on to my short skirt as I sat down in front of Mel. I crossed my legs under my desk and slightly turned my hed back to look at Mel, who was paying no type of attention to me. I scoffed at his ignorance and just faced forward in my seat. What did I not have that Precious did? I knew I was pretty enough for him and smarrt enough but was Precious better? Did I lack the classiness that she obviously had? 

I tapped my finger against my desk and finally got up the courage to talk to Mel. I turned around in my seat. "Romel?" "What's up?" He asked starring at his phone screen that was completely black. I knew he was still upset with me so he wasn't going to look at me instead he was just going to stare at his blank phone screen, being ignorant like always. "Do you think I look pretty today?" I asked him.

He looked up from his phone and raised an eyebrow as his eyes roamed over my entire body. He shook his head and looked back down at his phone. "You look like one of the other chicken heads walking around here with no clothes on 'cause they trying to get laid." I rolled my eyes and opened up my mouth to speak when some boy sat down in the seat next to me. "Y'all talking to each other?" He asked looking between Mel and I.

Mel shook his head. "Nah we're not." The boy smiled and turned to me before sticking out his hand. "What's up?" He asked shaking my hand. "Nothing," I mumbled. "Are you new here?" I shook my head. Was I that invisible? "No, I've been in this school since freshmen year." "Oh, I've never noticed you before. I'm TJ."

TJ? What the hell was a TJ? "I'm Nyree." "That's a beautiful name for an even more beautiful girl," He replied. I smiled. "Thank you." "Can I get your number so we can chill sometime?" He asked. I shook my head, no. "No. I don't even know you boy and I don't even know your real name." "I just told you it ws TJ," He said. "That's not even a real name."

I faced forward in my seat, not wanting to hear anything else he was saying. "How about instead of getting your number we have lunch together today? What lunch do you have?" He asked. "Second." "I got first but I'll skip for you." I nodded my head. "I'll see you at lunch Nyree." "Mhmm," I mumbled, dreading going to lunch so I'd have to see him. He was cute but stepping to me with some fake name wasn't cute.

I rolled my eyes and watched as he walked back over to the other side of the room, to join the rejects who never did anything in school. Had he been around that crew all year or was today the first time I noticed him. I stayed forward in my seat, always stealing glances at them. They were the kids in school, just attending because they knew they had to so the police wouldn't get suspicious about them loitering the streets all day, selling dope with the rest of the drug dealers. 

"So, what? Is that your little boyfriend now?" Mel snickered behind me.

I turned around and looked back at him. "No. Why are you so concerned about me all of a sudden? Shouldn't your girlfriend be upset about the two of us talking?" I asked him. "Yeah, she might but I was just wondering. Look, to save the two of us the drama I'll just move. Aight?" I rolled my eyes and listened behind me as Mel gathered up his things and walked to another side of the room, far away from me. 

I walked into the crowded lunch room and looked for a place to sit. I had been dreading lunch all day. Not because of seeing TJ but I knew that Mel wasn't going to want to sit with me, so I was gonna have to sit by myself or with people I didn't even know. I sighed and sat down at an empty table by myself and searched around the lunch room for Mel, who I found hugged up on Precious by the lunch line. 

My eyes darted around the lunch room, just starring at the happy people when I saw TJ sitting on top of a table, talking to some guy. He looked around and slid him something. The guy nodded his head, gave him some dap and walked away from him. TJ jumped down from the table and walked through the lunch room, talking to some people and handing off stuff to others as he walked up to me, smiling.