Chapter Fifteen

Shopping with Nikki was nice. It got my mind off things for the most part which was nice too. I still feel bad for not being able to hangout with Justin but I already made plans. It wasn't my fault so I shouldn't feel guilty but here I am, feeling sorry for him. I'll just be sure to stay free on Saturday or something.

After we finished shopping, we decide to go out to eat because shopping for so long works up an appetite and I'm always hungry anyways. We decide to go to Panera since it's pretty close to the mall. She drives us there and we arrive around 5:00 pm. This whole day has been great, so I assume eating Panera, which is my favorite, will do nothing but make it better. Food is life after all. We walk into the store and wait in line. Once our food is ordered, we find a nice booth the corner of the restaurant, talking about what we bought. As we take our seat, only a few minutes later they deliver my soup and her mac-n-cheese.

"You seriously got the kids mac-n-cheese?" I ask laughing. Nikki may be mature but I swear she acts like she's 6 years old sometimes.

"What's wrong with mac-n-cheese?" She furrows her brows and asks defensively. I chuckle before taking a few noodles from my chicken noodle soup and chew on them like they're heaven.  "I forgot how good Panera is."

I smile and nod in agreement.

Halfway through our meal, a girl wearing possibly the most slutty outfit I've ever seen and long blonde hair walks up to us. She's chewing gum and her face is caked with makeup. She meets my gaze and scowls in disgust, leaving me confused. "So you're the one Justin is obsessing over." She studies me from head to toe and I just sit there in shock.

Who the hell does this clown think she is?!

She sighs, "it's a shame, really. Justin could do so much better than your ugly, pathetic self."

"No, what's a shame is the fact that you think that your outfit or makeup is attractive. But in reality, it looks like you just came home from work at the local strip club and smashed your face into some poor kids birthday party."

I look over to Nikki bewildered as I comprehend what she just did to the angry prostitute. Nikki isn't the type of person to be rude, or speak up in general, so it surprised me. But damn, I have an awesome best friend. Nikki glares and the barbie glares right back. "At least I get dick." The girl snarles and I realize we don't even know her name. Oh wait, it's Vanessa. How did I not recognize her?

"Well she gets all A's. Do you know why I'm saying that? Because she's one of the smartest people I know. And, she may not get a ton of dick, but at least she knows how to spell it," Nikki counters and I can't help but smile at what she said about me.

This was a new side to Nikki I haven't seen before. She usually just kept to herself and never really stood up to bullies or hoes like Vanessa.

Vanessa stares in shock, before her face turns red like a cartoon characters. "Watch out bitch–you don't want to mess with me."

I have a sudden boost of confidence and the words spill out of my mouth before I could even process what I would say. "Yeah but I'm sure there's a horny guy who does." My eyes widen slightly at my words. I was similar to Nikki; never really standing up to people.

Nikki doesn't seem fazed at all by this. She simply smiles and says, "you're right. More specifically; his name starts with 'J' and ends with 'ustin'."

My stomach drops as she turns and struts away.

"She's probably right," I say sighing. "I mean look at her! She's been in bed quite a few times so she knows what men like, and she has a great body."

"So do you," my friend says reassuringly. I stare at her confused for a moment. I'm a virgin and still technically haven't kissed anyone yet. She noticed and corrects herself. "The body part, not sleeping around."

"Oh, I'm not sure I would say that–"

"Well I am. Now, are we going to finish eating our delicious food?" I laugh as Nikki digs into her meal and I do the same. We finish our food and head out of the restaurant.

The sun is beginning to set, making the clouds seem purple and dusty rose. The view in front of Panera is surprisingly stunning. Everywhere in California is usually a pretty view, with the beaches and all the palm trees, but Panera is sat atop of a cliff next to the beach. It looks out over the ocean and beach, where you can see the sun set/rise perfectly. I love sun sets and sun rises, but I enjoy sun sets more for some reason. It makes me calm and sometimes even safe. I feel like I'm in my own little world where nothing else matters and that nothing can hurt me.

Just like Justin...

Shut up, me! I really hate my conscious. But nonetheless I shouldn't be thinking like that anyways. Hell, I barely know him. That's kind of a lie but he is dangerous and who knows what could happen if we were together. I would never be safe, especially when it's not only the most dangerous and powerful gang, but the most hated one too. I'm sure the guys receive threats all the time and constantly have to be on their toes.

"Hello? Earth to Riley!"

I jump and turn to Nikki. "Sorry, I spaced out."

"You've been doing that a lot recently," she sighs, "this has something to do with Justin, doesn't it?"

My face flushes, "n-no! Why would you think that?" Smooth, Avery.

"He's hot, don't get me wrong, but he's dangerous. You should stay away from him, Avery. Have you heard the rumors?"

She was right. But there was just something about him–something that made me stay. Maybe it was his looks, or his mysterious persona. Whatever it was, it intrigued me. I'm smart, I'm good at reading and I always have been. It came easy and I never had any trouble. But he has got to be the hardest thing I've ever read. He opens up to me; and the next second, he blacks me out again. He told me what he does. He told me he's a gang leader. That bothered me like hell but it also made me wonder if he really was a heartless murderer that people make him out to be or just a cliché, broken, alone misunderstood guy.

He had another secret though. He's usually pretty good at telling me stuff but I feel like there is something he won't dare speak of to me, which just adds to my curiosity. I have a feeling not many of my classmates know about his profession, so what could these rumors be about? He does drugs? Or just sells them?

"Rumors? What rumors?"

She sighs and rolls her eyes. "You have to get out more Aves. But the rumors are he's in a gang. And also the leader of one."

I try to act surprised, but I already knew those rumors were in fact right. Being in a gang is illegal, but only dangerous. What if everyone finds out? That can't be good for him and the guys. Maybe I should talk to him about this...

"Oh." Is all I could say.

"'Oh'?! You just learned that your crush could possibly be in a gang! And that's all you say?" She exclaims throwing her arms in the air.

"He's not my crush! I don't like him!"

She looks at me suspiciously before laughing. She walks to her call and I follow her with a huff.

I don't like him.

I think.

A/N

hi guys! we're over 100 reads but i feel like i don't have many readers. but anyway, i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions:)

comment here if you do!

follow, vote, and comment <3

xoxo,
ch💕