Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Collarbone Cora was next.

I would have to be a lot subtler this time. And a lot more patient. Although some might argue that driving an anorexic girl to her death wasn't that hard, I disagreed. This was going to be tougher than exposing Georgia May's secret to the world.

Georgia, who was no longer a student in Greymare High. I was rather impressed by Father Gilbert's swiftness in getting her unenrolled and sent away to an all-girls Christian boarding school. Not that that would drive the lesbian out of her. In fact, it would probably make it worse.

As soon as news hit Alistair, the scandal became all that anybody could talk about. Everybody, meaning the male population, seemed to be hell-bent at retrieving the footage. I didn't make it difficult to find – In fact, I posted it anonymously on the Alistair Bulletin Board website.

Shanelle's life was officially ruined. But not before a little revenge herself.

She was tough, I give her that. Tough and angry. And as we crowded around her during lunchtime, and egged her on while she bashed Wendy to the point of hospitalization, I actually grew a newly found respect for her. Within a week, she was expelled. And Wendy had almost died.

Almost wasn't good enough.

Sometimes I didn't want to do all the dirty work – sometimes, like situations such as this, I sat back and let someone else cause all the harm. It was just as satisfying as pulling out a knife myself, and besides, my nails had just been French manicured, and I had to look every bit as perfect for the cheer prep photos.

"Can you believe it?" Daddy clicked his tongue and shook his head, easing into the freeway. The radio played on, giving us the news recap and the weather forecast. "And at a place like this! I thought kids were well behaved here. Now I have Ms. Wu's spine to straighten, and my hours have been stretched from ten to thirteen."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Daddy." I rubbed his back; all the while checking the side mirror to make sure that all sides of my hair were perfectly curled. "You should have told me. I would have made you lunch."

"No, the cafeteria's fine," he waved off. "I just can't help but feel frustrated. I try to bring you to a safer neighbourhood, but even then things keep happening."

"I'm grateful for every bit, Daddy," I leaned forward and kissed his cheek. He smiled. "Don't ever forget that. I mean, name one other Dad who would willingly move states for his daughter."

"I could name a few," he responded.

"No you couldn't."

When we pulled up at the curb, the exact place where I usually met up with my friends, he gave me a swift, reassuring hug. "Good luck with your photos today."

"Thank you. Good luck with that spine today."

He chuckled. "Thank you, Poppy."

"I love you!" I waved as he drove past. Almost as soon as he was gone, a pair of arms caught my waist.

I turned around sharply, but it was only Trevor. "Was that your dad?" he asked, pulling us so tightly together that I immediately grew conscious of the layers of clothing between us.

"Yeah." I smiled at him, looking happy to see him. He tugged at my hair playfully, and I felt annoyed.

"You look like a porcelain doll."

I moved his hand away, trying to look defensive. "Hey – I spent all morning trying to make it look like this."

"Oh, I'm not complaining. You look wonderful."