9

BEFORE
Early July

"Marinette!" Adrien exclaimed as I stepped into the movie store. He was beaming his wide-eyed smile, as if we were old friends. As I approached the counter, though, his expression turned into a smug smirk. "So, since you're back here, I assume you liked the movie, and you're back for more?"

"Well, I could be just returning the tape, since I did just rent it," I said, placing the tape on the glass counter.

"Sure, yeah, I forgot." He laughed and took the tape. "But seriously, though? How did you find the movie?"

"Absolutely horrible. Up to all extents of horrible," I said, watching as his sly look fell.

"Really?" He whispered his question, looking down in disappointment.

"They didn't even end up together!" I complained dramatically, and Adrien's face looked like he was prepared to laugh at me.

"Sometimes, things just don't work out the way you want them to!" His argument failed completely because he was still smiling, as if he just couldn't let it go.

"Yeah, but I mean, you gave me such a sad ending for a first movie." I tapped my fingers on the counter. "Though, I can say that my dad loved it."

Adrien let out a laugh again, and even though it seemed like something he would do so easily, I still felt proud. He slid the movie back to its spot in the glass and placed his elbows on the counter, leaning forward. "So what did you really think about it? I don't buy the fact that the ending ruined the entire movie for you. I mean, if it did, I promise I won't mind. You can lay down everything you hate about it."

And I just couldn't. Not with his dancing green eyes and the corner of his mouth tilted up in a half-smile, on its mark, ready to full-on sprint into his Cheshire Cat smile.

"Okay, it was beautiful," I said slowly. "I love the entire holiday thing they did."

Adrien watched me as I spoke, nodding slowly, as well.

"And I'm just emotionally unstable right now." His grin just expanded. "I can't believe that they couldn't find a way to make it work."

"But at least they had the best time of their lives in a short spur of the moment, yeah?" Adrien said, his grin turning into a small smile. "That's reality for you."

I let out a sigh, and the door chimed as another customer, a middle-aged man with a blue beanie, came in with a stack of DVD cases.

"So... anything else you got for me?" I asked him. I didn't lie to Adrien. The movie really was beautiful. Even though it had a sucky sad ending, it was good. And different. And most of all, it gave me an excuse to come back to see him today.

"The moment I saw you walking in the other day, I knew you'd be a sucker for these movies," he said as he took out his box of tapes from the glass counter again.

Wait, what does that mean? "You mean, I look like some sort of hopeless romantic girl?" I joked.

His eyes took in all of me, and I swore I saw his cheeks redden a bit. "Well... not really, but, you looked like you were someone who would appreciate and understand..."

I was confused by what he meant, but I liked that answer.

I follow Adrien to the cash register, and someone who looked like an absolute carbon copy of him in thirty years came out of the door behind him. He was about a foot taller than Adrien, and his hair was graying at the temples.

"Oh, darling, I'm terribly sorry," the man said, turning to me. "Is he trying to lure you into the Olden Hollywood era?"

"He isn't really," I said in unison with Adrien saying "She likes it, Dad."

The man — Adrien's dad — raised both hands in surrender. "Well, I'll be. It is such a refined taste. I'm worried he might dump to you his entire list of favorites, instead of just giving you one tape at a time." He turned to his son. "I mean, I'd allow you to do that anyway, since they aren't exactly in high demand."

Adrien kept his eyes on the computer as he said, "I'm sure Marinette wouldn't mind to get more entertained. I want to hear what she thinks of each one."

"Oh..." was all his father said.

Which is exactly all I could think about as he slid another tape into my hands, signature smile flashing in place. And then I tried to make my way to the door — my heart skipping a beat. I wonder how do girls climb into their scooters in a skirt, praying that he wasn't watching me.

Actually... I was hoping he was.