Chapter One

Arabella walks down to the glassy hallway. She smiles at a masked girl walking past her then puts a monotone face on. She looks both way before entering the bathroom that said "Mens".

She lifts her black high low dress off the ground and wrinkles her nose in disgust. 'ugh men; always so disgusting' she thought. She waits behind the pearly white door. The door opened seconds later. It was a bodyguard for who she was looking for. He saw her and his eyes widen. She smiled with satisfaction at his fear.

"DarkHeart." He breathed.

She grinned tightening her grip on her blade. "One and only." He tried to kick her ankles. She jumped before he could and did the same for him knocking him down to the hard floor. She looks down at him with dead eyes. Her eyes showed no emotion as she slit his throat and stuck the blade right into his heart. Blood flooding down his neck he tried to breath out words but it was useless. She gave him 10 seconds at the most before he bled out.

Before the door reopened she hid behind it again. The door opened with it being exactly who she expected and wanted it to be."Think you should get better security don't you think?" She said mischievously as she kicked the bodyguards liveless body with her foot ever so slightly. "That is of course,if you come out of this alive."

He tried to beg for mercy but that made her smile grow bigger. "Should have thought about mercy when you killed all those families." As soon as she saw him run to the door she grabbed his head laying in on her shoulder and putting a blade to his throat.

Her hand was itching to slide through his throat. She sliced through the flesh killing him immediately. She dropped his lifeless body onto the ground next to the other bulky body.

She walked over the bodies like they were furniture and headed for the big mirror above the sink. She washed her blade humming a tune. She looked in the mirror, she adjusted her black mask and reapplied some red lipstick. She bounced her curls, took a picture of the bodies and walked out.

As soon as she left the bathroom she opened her black matte hand held fan and covered half of her face with it. Leaving her sky blue eyes to be the only thing anyone could see. She walked out of the masquerade party and got in her black car.

----

Arabella entered the translucent glass doors which revealed some of the assassins she worked alongside with. They all gave her nods of acknowledgment. She felt someone touch her shoulder and her quick reflexes reacted. She grabbed that person's hand and flipped them in front of her laying them on their back.

A faint smile broke on her face at the look of her terrified best friend. "Arden." She said lightly. Arden smiled and took the hand Arabella held out for her. "I should probably not sneak up on you, especially when you just came back from a mission." Arden rubs her shoulder in pain. "Yea probably not the best idea." Arden takes her to the consulting room.

Arden put on her white jacket that had a small patch of the institutes name. 'The black crosses' with the iconic two black arrows crossing right under it. Arden was the medic of the institute.

She didn't like fighting or violence so when she and arabella were taken in by the boss of the black arrows, Arazel. She was trained to kill and Arden was trained to heal our injuries.

Arden takes her light and opens arabella's left eye then her right checking her pupils. "Alright pupils look normal." She then checked her heart rate. "Everything seems normal." Arabella stood up. She was about to say goodbye and go to her room but Arazel spoke through the loud speaker. "Arabella go to my office immediately." She groaned "What did you do now?" Arden laughed. "I don't know you tell me." Arabella walked down to his office wondering what she had done now.

------

She knocked on the mahogany door twice. "Come in." She heard from the other side of the brown wood. She twisted the knob cautiously. There had been way too many times when she was called up and Arazel would sneak up on her and flip her over claiming it was so she could be "ready for anything."

As she opened the door Arabella's face filled with confusion and irritation. Arazel was in his usual business attire. Black button up shirt with matching pants. There were two leather seat in his office for people from the institute to sit at when they speak to him. Only one of them was empty.

Arabelle looks to the taken seat. And rolls her eyes at who she sees. "You wanted to see me?" She says through gritted teeth. The muscular figure of Reece Arsen turns around to see me and rolls his eyes as well. "Ah yes sit down next to Reece." She stomps her feet a bit as she makes her way to the chair.

"Why did you ask us both down here Arazel?" Reece questions. Arazel just looks at us for a second, studying us. "Arabelle Darkheart and Reece Arsen. The best assassins of the institute. The youngest too. " "Can we please get to the point. I just came back from a shower is waiting for me." Arabelle complains.

"You should hit the workout room first. Looks like all that macaroni and cheese is finally catching up to you." Reece huffs out. Arabelle slightly gasps. "How dare you, if I really wanted to you would be death by now." She says looking at him, with narrowed eyes. "Do it then" She quickly reaches into her boot and grabs her dagger. "Enough. You're also the most childish of my assassins. I called you both in here to talk to you about your work. As you guys know in this institute we work in pairs of two. Both of you, being my First and second in command, Have worked solo for all of your killing careers. But that ends today, As of today you two will become partners."

Arabella and Reece stay silent for a minute or two. "Arazel this is so unfair. I've worked alone all my life and every single one of my missions have ended successfully I deserve to stay solo." Arabelle exclaims slamming her hand on the table. "I refuse to work with this brat." Arabella scoffs.

"This is not up for discussion. You two are partners now, Your next mission will be assigned to you tomorrow. You may leave now." Arabelle slams the door behind her walking to her dorm.

-------

A few hours later, Arabelle and her best friend Arden were eating Ice Cream in their dorm. "It's literally so unfair." She says as she takes another bite. "Like, I've been working alone since I was 12 and now he wants to give me a partner."

Arden scrapes the bottom of her Ice Cream tub wishing there was more. "I don't know, I think this is a good thing." Arabelle stops eating as she looks at her black haired best friend in shock. "Do you hear yourself Arden? He put me with my enemy." "He's not your enemy he's your colleague he works with you. And I think you have a crush on him." Arabelle stays quiet then bursts out laughing. "Wow I knew you were funny but you are truly hilarious. I don't have a crush on him. I will never have a crush on him." "Whatever makes you sleep at night." Arden laughs as she throws a pillow to Arabella's face.

----------------

word count: 1285

4/14/18

1:46 pm