The Gay Straight Alliance - by KatieShakespeare

In bold or italics are parts that we feel are should stand out a bit.

So, the LGBT Library recently asked me to write an article about my gay straight alliance.

I originally wanted to start one, but two years ago at my school a GSA was formed, but it ended up not working out and I was afraid the results would be the same. Though then a friend of mine, Nick, he sent around a text to all of his friends asking people if they wanted to help form a GSA. So I replied with a definite “yes.”  

Luckily, we didn’t have to fill out any forms since the GSA was still a club, but it just wasn’t active. So Nick and I just had to find a sponsor. We went around to all the teachers, most of them declining and a few giving an unsure answer. Though then I asked Mr. Smock, who’s a young social studies teacher that is always liked by all of his students. He asked what the club was about and then agreed to it.  

Before our first meeting, Nick and I discussed what we would talk about and how we would get word around. I made flyers in bright colors and I also made a slide show for the first meeting. Nick started our Facebook page and about 50 people liked it. Nick and I came across some trouble when people started to rip off our flyers (which ended up being a complete waste of my money because every single one was torn down) but we redeemed our confidence in the club when 37 people showed up to our first meeting on February 9th. Nick and I and a few other friends brought loads of food for everyone and it was practically a club for outsiders.  

I’m only in band and art and I’m not in any other clubs. That’s the same way it is with the other members that came. They weren’t a part of anything, and then we revived the GSA, and so they had a place to be themselves, which is the theme of our club. Nick and I made it so that everyone realized that being yourself was the main purpose of the club. Equality and individuality were our key concepts.  

For our first meeting, it was mostly to get to know everyone and to let everyone know the purpose of the club. We let everyone know that Nick and I are not the ones who will do everything. We just get things started while everyone else gives the ideas and gets the activities formed clearly.  

A few meetings passed, and we started making posters about spreading equality and we’ve just recently discussed fundraising. We plan on selling food in the cafeteria in a few weeks and keeping some of the money so then we can buy shirts that we created and to also donate to GLSEN, which is the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network. We plan on meeting over summer, going to Indy Pride and try to connect with of GSA’s and also campaigns like the Trevor Project or NoH8 (and I recently went to a NoH8 photo shoot, which makes me want to get everyone else to go to one, too, since it was an incredible experience).  

Our purpose of the GSA is to get active in the community by stopping inequality, give everyone who’s afraid to be themselves a safe and fun environment where they can socialize freely with peers, and to also give support to anyone who needs it. Many people in the school think the GSA is a “gay” club, even though “straight” is one third of the name. It’s been hard, but it’s also been a great experience. I’ve met some amazing people that I use to just pass by in the hallways. I’ve expressed myself in ways I was afraid to. Also, I felt like I was a part of something bigger, which is something I’ve always wanted to feel. And I have to thank the Gay Straight Alliance for that.

Dedicated to Miss KatieShakespeare. This is an awesome thing here! If you have a story that you would like to share, email us at LGBTLibrary@live.com. Put "[Article Title] Article" in the subject, and don't forget to include your username.