One

WARNING! SAMPLE CHAPTER ONLY! 

BOOK RELEASE ON JULY 19, 2020. AVAILABLE ON AMAZON AND KINDLE.

"Good evening, sir. Are you ready to order?" I asked with a forced smile on my face while pulling out a white pad paper. I was poised and ready to take his order. Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same for him.

He browsed through the menu once, twice, thrice, and so on—clearly taking his sweet time. By the fourth time he rechecked the menu, he was starting to get on my nerves.

I mean, come on! It's not like the words would change every time he flipped a page. He finally made his choice about four minutes after he arrived, I could have used more productively.

"I would like your filet mignon with lemon sauce and some red wine to go along with it. That would be all," the man in a gray suit briefly stated as he closed the menu. He then looked away after he pulled out his vibrating phone.

"It will be served in ten to fifteen minutes, sir," I replied with a smile.

"Oh, hello! I thought you were in Paris," the man said as he waved me off to answer the call.

I excused myself with a slight bow before I walked towards the computer on the far right side of the room to punch in his order. I scowled in annoyance at the man's rudeness, but there wasn't much I could do. Since I started working as a waitress in a three-star restaurant, I found out this kind of treatment was typical. Whenever someone started to shout and scream, my night was sure to go downhill from there.

"Why so serious?" Terry asked as I reached the small stall, with a touchscreen computer for us to place orders to, which was synced to an identical computer in the kitchen.

"The first douchebag of the night," I said, sighing wearily.

"Ah... so the contest for number one douchebag is on," Terry said with a smirk while his fingers continued tapping on the computer screen.

"Is anyone from your tables up for the running?" I asked seriously as I quickly glanced at his section.

"Oh, I don't know. I haven't come across one yet. But I'll get back to you on that," he said and turned to me with a wink.

"Good for you. I hope he would be the only one for tonight. I'm pretty worn out," I said with a resigned sigh.

"I'm all done," Terry announced and turned towards me. "Do you want me to punch that in?" he offered with a smile.

"Sure. Thanks," I replied, giving him the sheet with orders. "While you're at it, I'll wait on some of your tables. You sure there are no assholes?" I asked as I stepped away from him.

"None. Nada," he said, smiling. "Oh, there are orders on the counter. Check if any of them is for my section," he continued as he glanced behind me.

"Right. Roger that."

I headed towards the counter where loads of dishes were waiting on the trays. I checked if any of the orders were for my section or Terry's before I delivered them. Afterward, I went to wait on the new customers in my section. As I headed back to the computer to punch in another order, I bumped into Terry.

"Andy, table fifteen's order is up," Terry whispered while I punched in an order.

"Thanks for the heads up," I replied with a soft smile.

I got the tray from the counter and carried it to its designated table. Table fifteen. The douchebag. I smiled as I placed his order in front of him, immediately regretting not spitting on it when he rudely waved me away again. I saw Terry giving me a sympathetic smile as I retreated.