Chapter Five

“Breakfast here? Anna’s delivers?” I asked, angling myself with my arms crossed over my chest so I didn’t feel as naked.

“No. I’m cooking.”

David cooked? Another thing to add to my long list of what made him desirable. “You sure?”

“Absolutely.” His eyes strayed to my tank top before meeting mine again. “Go get dressed and come over in twenty minutes.” He turned to go, then paused. “On second thought, what you’re wearing is just fine.”

When I raised one brow, he shrugged and then went into his condo.

I brushed, washed and combed everywhere possible, then raced to Kelly’s closet. Hopefully, she’d have something appropriate for a stay-in breakfast. Something that didn’t require stilettos.

My eyes scanned the selection of skirts, tops and pants in every color and style, then landed on the shelves lined with boots. I breathed a sigh of relief when I found some with less than four inch heels.

The weatherman had warned that the temperature would reach the mid-eighties later. Grabbing a pair of jeans riddled with holes, I sifted through Kelly’s blouses until I found a sleeveless top — something that covered more than what I’d worn to bed, but still kept me cool.

As I opened my front door, the scents of bacon and herbs hit me. My stomach growled. Well, no wonder it was so strong in the corridor — he’d left his door open.

“David?” I called out.

“Come on in,” he returned.

My cell vibrated, just as I pushed the door open the rest of the way. I dug it out of my pocket. Kelly. She was probably checking in. “I gotta take this. Be right back.”

“Hey.” I ducked back out into the hallway.

“Why are you whispering?” she asked.

I closed his door and raised my voice. “I’m not.”

“Everything okay? You haven’t run into any trouble, have you?”

“Uh… no.”

“Uh-huh.” Long pause, like she didn’t believe a word of it. Even though, technically, I’d only uttered two.

“What’s going on?” I asked, unable to fathom what could possibly be annoying her.

She exhaled. Loudly. “Did you see this morning’s TMZ blog?”

Oops. Lisa’s handi-work? “No. Why?”

“They’re saying I’m pregnant, because I refused a drink last night. What gives? You’re young and single. Would it have killed you to imbibe?”

“I'm not twenty-one. Besides, lots of people don’t drink,” I said.

“But I do — until last night. Therefore, I must be knocked up,” Kelly growled. “Worse, they’re saying David is the father and we’re back together. The pictures of you wearing his jacket, then leaving together didn’t help. Candy, am I back together with David?”

“Wh-What? No!”

“Did he drive you home last night?”

“Well…”

“Oh, my God.” Her voice had taken on an apathetic tone, like I’d disappointed her. Hey, I was in this mess because I was doing her a favor. “Did you sleep with him?” she asked.

I straightened my spine, even though I knew she couldn’t see over the phone. “No way. I just met him yesterday.”

She sighed. “Out of all the reasons you could give me for not sleeping with him, that’s the one you picked. How about—”