Chapter Eighteen~ Adrian

"You're so cute," Helen said, pinching his cheeks and he giggled. "I love seeing you happy like this, babe".

"I love being happy like this," Adrian admitted, stretching his legs out across his bed, though they didn't reach the end. "We've only been together for what... three weeks? Four? I don't know, not long, but I'm so... so..."

"Yes?" Helen encouraged, dropping down onto the bed next to him and staring at his ceiling.

"I'm so in love, Helen". His best friend gasped dramatically and he chuckled at her reaction. "It's true, Helen. I love him. He makes me so happy that my face hurts from smiling, even when he's not around. I just love him, and I want to tell him".

"My baby is all grown up," she said, and when he looked at her she was wiping away fake tears and he rolled onto his side to look at her. "Adrian, I'm so happy that you found someone. What David did to you was unfair, and you deserved so much better than that".

Adrian grimaced at the reminded of David. Though everything with Ezra was going, well, perfectly, what had happened with the older man was still extremely upsetting to him and he tried not to think about it as much as possible.

At the moment, it was easy to push the thought back by simply reminding himself that Ezra would be coming over soon.

Once again, happiness filled him and he was able to focus back on his conversation with his best friend.

"Helen," he said, his voice cautious as he slowly grinned, "you're sounding a little too nice for the bitch you are. Quick, say something mean!"

"Umm...," she said, her eyes widening as she held the note. "Adrian, your happiness has ruined my bitchiness!" She snapped and Adrian burst out laughing.

"Good," he said, "you were too harsh anyways".

"I was not," she laughed, and Adrian rolled his eyes.

"You told me yesterday that I was automatically less attractive because I'm asian and asian boys don't do it for you," Adrian said and Helen grinned at his words.

"I was joking. You're a cutie". He rolled his eyes but leaned his head against her shoulder. "I'd like to get to know Ezra better, if that's okay?" she asked softly and Adrian smiled.

"I'd love for you two to get along". They were the two most important people in his life, the fact that Helen wasn't a fan of Ezra's was troublesome, and he'd like for it to be different. "He's going to the college in town". Helen pushed herself up onto her elbows and looked down at him. He thought she would say something about how he was thinking far ahead for a three week relationship, or something out that could possibly make him doubt himself, but then he could defend  this with I love him. Instead, she was once again a bitch.

"He got into college?" She asked, sounding shocked and Adrian hit her shoulder.

He knew that Ezra wasn't the smartest person in the world but he wasn't stupid. Not at all. He understood things much better than most people Adrian knew. And, he had learned, he was very good at language arts. 

"He did," Adrian said, and Helen turned to him, raising her perfect eyebrows.

"Soccer?" She asked, and Adrian hummed thoughtfully, thinking about how the soccer field was directly outside of the band room and how after school, when he was practicing, he would look out of the window there and swoon at his boyfriend's amazing talent in the sport that he adored. The game against Valley Falls was next week already, and Adrian couldn't wait to watch Ezra play.

"Yeah," he said, smiling and Helen gagged.

"Ew, Adrian. Stop looking so in love," she accused, "it's disgusting".