The Break

About a week later, from what Renée could tell, she experienced a new technique of torture. She got used to the pain of the previous ones and became numb to it. It angered the queen and she brought in a faery Renée had never seen before.

"Here we have someone very special and very rare in the Unseelie Court. She has the very special ability to regenerate limbs and even raise the dead. She is a rakshasas. She will be Castiel's new assistant. I look forward to your cries carrying out through the halls." Mabh smiled triumphantly and walked back out of the room.

Renée looked at the faery she had been introduced to. She walked into the room as a demon looking faery with side tusks, ugly black and brown eyes, and eyebrows that curled awkwardly. Her bull head, bloated abdomen, tangled hair, and backward pointing hands accentuated her hideousness. Now that the queen exited the room she transformed into a beautiful brunette with perfectly shaped eyebrows, pouty lips, curvy body, and big hazel eyes. She must be a shape-shifter. Renée was sure the rakshasas' change in appearance was meant to lower her guard but it only made her tense up more to the deceit.

Before Renée could register that Castiel had grabbed something new, she felt the most excruciating pain radiate from her forearm to all the way up. Her heart nearly shot out of her chest in aching thumps while her breathing took on a very labored pace. A scream began to build in the back of her throat. When she looked down she observed her forearm cut off completely. A thump sounded in her ears as her hand and forearm fell to the floor with a sickening fleshy sound. Her scream temporarily cut off through the shock of what he'd done. She hadn't tears enough to cry for all the pain that permeated her body. The rakshasas placed her hand on her arm and the pain began to subside. Warmth and imitation calmness filled her. Renée's arm began to regrow; starting with the bone, followed by the nerves, muscles and skin. If she closed her eyes she could imagine maggots crawling all over her arm and hand, hear it as well. Gasping for breath she watched in shock and horror as the calm dissipated. The pain may have gone but she sure did not want that to happen again. When the woman removed her hand she looked at Renée with a glint of suspicion in her eye. Renée hadn't had the time to ask about it before Castiel ran a sword through her stomach. She spit up blood too shocked at first to register the pain. Breathing became difficult, conscious thought began to drift.

"Stop. Stop this," she screamed raspy at Castiel. She was barely able to catch her breath from the agony radiating from her abdomen. She felt as if she were going to pass out. Her consciousness began slipping and she couldn't bring herself to care anymore. Renée just wanted it all to end. Her vision began to blur and she began to black out. She felt the sword being pulled from her abdomen accompanied by a wet sucking sound and the immediate warmth from the healing of the rakshasas faery. Her eyes were so heavy she couldn't open them to watch her blood stop streaming from the wound or the skin heal like it was never run through. Renée hadn't the energy to maintain any cognizance.

...

Renée awoke to the smell of fresh honey cakes and some sweet meat she was unable to identify. They put her back in her prison and dressed her in fresh clothing. She wore a simple brown tunic and a knee length brown skirt. The material felt worn and somewhat scratchy against her skin but clean. She found that all the blood had been washed from her body as well.

She didn't know how long she had been out this time. All the blackouts were causing her to lose track of how much time she stayed in this state of torture, heal, sleep, eat and repeat. Renée cautiously ate the food on the floor by the door. The first bite triggered her hunger and she had trouble eating it fast enough to dissipate the shakes racing through her. A warm cider in a plain wooden cup sat beside the plate. The delicious smell wafting up to her nose. She drank it greedily. It was the best meal she'd consumed since they had captured her. The fact made her fear that she might be done in soon. Despite the need for death during her torture she still didn't really want to die.

Once she finished eating she used what little light she had to look at all the wounds that healed on her. She could see her nails were turning black from the way he shoved a toothpick under them, except under the one that had been lopped off. Her cuts were healing nicely, even the deep cuts. She wondered if all of her wounds healed faster due to the healing of the rakshasas faery. If that were the case she truly had something to fear. At this rapid healing rate they could torture her for the rest of her natural life. And maybe unnatural if what Mabh said about the rakshasas bringing the dead back to life were true.

Renée gave up on trying to get through to Castiel. If he could do these kinds of things to her then he truly was gone to her. With his lack of chatter she knew he would never answer her as to why he did all of this. She knew he loved her. That kind of love you could not fake. She just could not figure out what the Unseelie queen did to him to make him do this. The pain of his betrayal, even if it might not be of his choosing, was just too much to lay hope on reaching him.