Hickey || 02

HICKEY / chapter two

"Did you get in okay last night?"

My eyes widen as I take in what he said. Ryder was looking at me seriously, a concerned look in his eyes. I don't know if I'm more confused or surprised over the fact that he was even talking to me. Ryder was two years older than me just like my brother, and here's the thing: Ryder Finnick and I don't talk, don't even glance at each other in the halls. We aren't friends. My older brother may be his biggest rival, but I'm nobody to him.

So why was he talking to me now?

"What?"

"Last night." He lets go of my wrist and shoves his hands in his jacket pockets. "After I drove you home."

"You what?" I exclaim, causing a few students passing by to look at us. Shooting them an apologetic look, I pull Ryder to the side with me. In a more hushed voice, I say to him, "You drove me home?"

"Yeah," he says slowly, eyebrows furrowing. "You went around your house so I couldn't see if you got inside okay."

"Uh, yeah, I had to sneak in through my bedroom window." Shaking my head, I shoot him a very confused look. "You were at the party last night?"

"You don't remember?"

I shake my head. "I-I got drunk."

"Wow. Okay." He steps back, his disbelief evident on his face. "I can't believe this."

I notice how he's about to turn his back to me but before he can, I grab his jacket sleeve. I can't let him go just yet. I many not know why the guy who hates my brother's  would guts drive me home, but I did know one thing: Ryder Finnick just might be the answer to who gave me this hickey.

"What happened last night?"

"Nothing."He shakes his head. "Nothing happened, Eva. Don't worry."

"What do you mean nothing? Something happened!"

His dark brown eyes soften, turning concerned. "What do you mean something happened?"

"Do you—" I take a deep breath and pull down my turtleneck, revealing just enough of my neck for him to see the hickey. "Do you know who gave me this?"

His eyes widen into saucers. "I—Look, I'm sorry, okay?"

"No, no," I say quickly, scared that he might walk away and leave. "You drove me home last night, right? Thank you for that by the way." I shoot him a grateful smile. "Did you see me with anyone at the party? Did you see who gave this to me?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Because," I say slowly, annoyed that he didn't get it. It was obvious why this was important. "A guy gave me a hickey—a guy who I can't even remember. I want to find out who gave me this."

"What are you gonna do when you do?" Ryder says, looking at me with a serious expression. "Are you gonna apologize for not remembering him? Hit him because he left a mark on you? It's just a hickey."

"This isn't just a stupid hickey!" Why wasn't he getting it? Maybe Ryder was just so used to hooking up with different girls and not remembering half of them the next day, but that's not me. When I make out with guys, I remember them. I try to not make it awkward the next day. I don't go around letting them give me hickeys and then forgetting about them!

"Just let it go, Eva."

"How can I just let it go? Elliot saw it this morning!"

"Wait, your brother saw it?" Ryder says, shaking his head. "Damn it."

"Why do I get the feeling that you know who gave this to me?" I say, shooting him an accusing look. "Why can't you just tell me?"

"And get my ass kicked by your brother? Yeah, no."

"Is he one of your friends or whatever? Is that why you won't tell me?"

"Wha—"

"Don't try to cover for him! It's not like I'm going to kill your friend or whatever." I let out an exasperated breath. "I don't know what exactly I'm going to do when I find out who it is. I don't know if I'll end up slapping him or just asking him about what happened, but I do know that I have to find out. And even when I do find out, I won't tell Eli so don't worry, your friend—"

"It wasn't one of my friends."

"Then who, Ryder?"

"It was me." His dark brown eyes meet mine. "You gonna slap me now?"