Chapter 25: The Opening Song

On the first day of the Spring Competition, I stood nervously in the center of the field in a dark blue dress with the Fa Family's phoenix embed on my right shoulder. Instead of tying my hair up, I had it braided loosely to my left shoulder. I glanced around seeing the usual white tents set up all around the open field. Like always, each tent hang their respective family emblem flag. I noticed and recognized the few that enters every year. Many others are new for me.

"Mei-mei, are you ready?"

                My older cousin had his arm around my shoulders, as he smiled down at me.

"No" I replied, wanting badly to escape to the the Fa Family tent.

                Min laughed and patted my head.

"You'll do fine. It's only a song"

                It's only a song he says. I wouldn't mind singing if it was only in front of the people I know and cared about. I wouldn't mind singing in front of family because I wouldn't be judged.

"Min-ge" I turned to see my cousin going to the small table where a Zheng harp sat waiting for him. "Maybe someone else can_"

"Mei-mei, this year is your turn" Min chuckled as he sat down. "Don't worry; your brother will accompany you through your song"

                I made a face.

"Don't pout" He chuckled. "Ready?"

                I gave a heavy sigh before I turn before the crowd hidden within their family tents.

"Fa Wei Lan welcomes everyone to this year Spring Competition" I spoke out, glad that I'm not shuttering. "This year, please allow Wei Lan to start the competition with a song"

                When I finished, Min struck a chord on the Zheng harp. Facing my cousin, I figured I'll be more relaxed if I pretend it's just Min and me. When he gave me a playful wink, I felt myself relaxed as I sing out the first note.

The Sun is rising
The clouds are wandering, aimlessly
Copper color stretch through the sky
Who pity the bird, when it's the closest
Who loves gems, when it's the furthest
Called for the wanderer
His eyes on adventure
Called for the adventurer
Her hair against the wind
Play about the early days
Ancient trails, rain drenched with sunlight beams
Sun goes down
The lowering clouds wandering endlessly