7

"Cameron, stop fidgeting."

I shoot my mom a look as the two journalists set up the camera. I'm sitting on the itchy couch, my hands on my lap, trying really really hard not to squirm or crack my knuckles. The sky outside is grey, and light streams into the living room.

"Okay," says the female journalist, who introduced herself as Olivia. She connects a microphone to the camera and takes a seat beside me, smoothing out her skirt. "Are we ready to go?"

The other guy named Walter holds a boom mike above our heads and presses record on the very expensive looking camera. I take a deep breath and glance at Mom, Veronica, and Hailey, who are leaning against the wall behind the camera. 

Olivia shakes out her curly hair and turns to me, smiling. "Are you ready, Cameron? Remember, we're just having a normal conversation."

"Okay," I say. I wonder if I should sit on my hands. Olivia nods at Walter and clears her throat, grinning broadly at the camera.

"Today I am here with the CHL superstar, quoted 'wonderkid' by some, Cameron Beckett." Wow, she's very energetic in front of the camera. "Cameron plays for the St. Anne Lions." She gently tilts her head towards me. "Cameron, how is the season going so far?"

"It's going pretty well," I say, focusing on keeping eye contact with her even though I want to glance at the camera. "We've had some good games as well as some bad, but I think we're setting up a good foundation for the rest of the season."

Olivia nods understandingly. "Now, there have been some incidents of disagreements on the Lions. What's your take on this?"

Oh boy. "The team gets along well," I say slowly. "Tensions are high right now and everyone's pretty stressed, so, yeah, there have been a couple incidents. But overall we're a close team, um, and we always get past issues like these."

"I see. Let's talk Junior World Championships. Will you be representing Canada at the end of December?"

"Yes, I will," I say. 

"And where is the tournament?"

"Finland." I bit my lip as she bobs her head again. The IIHF, or Junior World Championships, is a international tournament that happens right after Christmas. I'm excited for those couple weeks away from home. 

"How exciting. So, there's been some talk that you'll be the first pick in the NHL draft." Olivia turns to the camera and laughs lightly like it's an inside joke. "How is that affecting your play?"

"It's not, really. At least, I'm not trying to let it."

"Just how much pressure is on your shoulders right now?"

I want to crack my knuckles I want to crack my knuckles I want to crack my knuckles. My heart is starting to pound. "I guess a lot."

Olivia laughs and placed a manicured hand on my leg, turning back to the camera. I glance at the camera too. 

"Thanks so much for talking with us, Cameron," she says. "St. Anne is cheering for you and the rest of the Lions."

~

The radiator is making weird noises as I'm trying to sleep, curled up on top of my blankets. It's only six in the evening, but I'm tired. The interview left me exhausted, for some reason.

I twist on my back, my bedspring squeaking, and squint as light pours in from the crack in the curtains. I just want to sleep forever.

My door creaks open loudly. Hailey is bouncing in the doorway. 

"I'm about to start a movie," she says, grinning. "Do you want to watch it with me?"

I sit up slowly and rub my forehead. "What movie?"

"Mary Poppins. Please watch it with me? It's my favorite movie ever. Please? Cameron! Do it!"

"Hailey, I'm tired. Will Veronica not watch it with you?"

"Veronica is out with..." Hailey sticks her tongue out and rolls her eyes back. "Paul."

"What about Mom?"

"She went shopping. Please, Cameron!"

I sigh. "Okay, fine. But you have to make the popcorn."

"Yay!" She grabs my hand and pulls me out of bed and to the living room.

~

Half an hour later, Hailey and I are sharing a bowl of popcorn as Mary Poppins sings on the screen in front of us. Old VCR tapes are scattered on the carpet, and Hailey is humming off-key beside me. 

There's a knock on the front door and Hailey groans dramatically.

"Relax, we don't have to pause it. I'll get it." I push the knit blanket off of me and hurry to the front door. "Oh! Hey, Sam."

"Hey," says Sam. He smiles shyly holds out a black umbrella. "I was just returning this, the one your mom let me borrow earlier."

"Oh! Thanks."

There's an awkward silence. 

"Um -"

"Do -"

He blushes and shakes his head. "You go first."

"I was just going to say that Hailey and I are watching a movie, if you wanted to join."

Hailey gasps from the living room. "Sam's here?" she yells. "Sam!"

Sam laughs. "Maybe I will," he says. "What movie?"

"Mary Poppins," I say.

"Ooh, a classic."

"Yeah, it's a good one."

Another awkward silence. I step back and he walks through the front door, his arms folded in an oversized blue sweater. 

"Hi, Sam!" says Hailey, completely turned around on the couch and not paying any attention to poor Mary.

"Hi, Hailey," says Sam.

"Sit beside me!"

"Okay." Sam moves to the couch, then stops and turns to face me. There are faint freckles on his nose that I haven't noticed before. "And I just wanted to say I'm sorry, if you heard what Trina said yesterday."

"Tr - oh, that's okay."

"I just... a C is really good."

"It's okay, it's not a big deal."

"And she shouldn't have said that."

"It's really okay."

"You worked hard for that C."

"It's okay, Sam. Honestly."

He looks sad. He takes a seat on the other side of Hailey. I sit down, too. Mary Poppins continues to sing and dance on the fuzzy screen.