{3} Alluring Proposals

Tasneem Uddin

It was Amira's Walima. Her Nikkah, which was the wedding contract, happened yesterday. Today was basically the wedding reception. I was finishing the final touches of Amira's eye makeup.

"Amira, stop moving!" I scolded.

"Sorry, I'm nervous," she mumbled.

I pulled back to give her an amused look, "Again?"

"Shut up."

I laughed as I made a winged line on her eyelids. "He's completely smitten with you."

She smiled as she remembered her Nikkah. "I know."

"I'm sure that he's going to faint when he sees you."

"You think?" she grinned.

"I'm positive. You're so beautiful, Amira. MashAllah (God has willed it). "

She got up to hug me. "Thank you," she whispered. "Through thick and thin, you've never abandoned me. I hope one day Allah finds you a husband that deserves you."

I pulled away from her hug. "Marriage isn't my thing."

Amira rolled her eyes, "Doesn't everyone say that before they find the one?"

"Trust me, it's not happening any time soon."

As I finished her makeup, we talked about everything. I told her about how my parents café was not making as much money. Amira sympathized with me since it was our favorite hangout as children. Amira told me about her college experience away from home. I found myself longing to experience something like that, but I knew I couldn't leave my parents.

My parents migrated from Bangladesh when I was extremely young. They came seeking refuge in America due to the Bengali government killing off leaders of my parent's political party. My father had feared raising me in a country that would soon be a slave to injustice. At the first chance they got, they escaped. We've visited a couple of times, but it was always secretive. My parents would have to pretend to not be associated with their party in order to protect me.

A knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts. It was Amira's friend, Kanza. She poked her head out the door. "Y'all ready?" she asked.

I nodded as Amira stood up. Kanza was Amira's friend from college. She was also a practicing Muslim like us. A dark colored hijab wrapped tightly over her head. Kanza came for Amira's wedding.

She lost her fiancé a couple years ago. Although, she was carefree and obnoxious, deep in my heart I knew there was a part of Kanza that was afraid to ever find love again. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she gave up completely at the idea of happiness. I felt for her, I really did. Imagining the pain she went through was unbearable to even think about.

Kanza smirked, "Damon's going to probably take you somewhere in this building as soon as he sees you. If you know what I mean."

"Kanza," I gasped at her crude words. "Let's keep the dirty thoughts at bay, please."

"That's no fun," she pouted.

Amira laughed. She nudged Kanza in the side, "Leave it to you to make my Walima a comedy."

Kanza winked, "You know it."

"Idiot," I muttered under my breath.

Kanza playfully glared at me, "You know you're a real pain in the ass, Tasneem."

"You know it," I mocked her previous words with a wink.

"Freaking thief," she muttered under her breath.