Wattpad Original
There are 31 more free parts

08. Food For Thought

"Little Red, what are you doing?" asked Cain. A nervous look dawned upon his face as he looked at the scene before him.

It was the day before their departure from Harvest Island. Since their victory against the navy, they had partied non-stop at the tavern every evening, scaring away the locals, much to Elena's dismay. They had spent their time being with Jessica as much as they could, having fun and seeing different parts of the island. It was time well spent, and Cain would admit he would miss Jessica, though he would be happy to forget about all of her annoying pranks that would set Kirk on an angry rampage, one of which was about to happen.

Jessica hummed a laugh and placed a finger to her lips, telling Cain to be quiet. Morgan and John were already preparing themselves for the worst, hiding behind the bar, their heads peering over the countertop, tensely waiting for the outcome but excited at the same time.

Jessica's acrobatic style of aerial silk was being used to hover above a sleeping Kirk, who had collapsed on the stage the previous night after having too much to drink. The captain looked peaceful in his slumber, his empty tankard held protectively against his chest like a teddy bear cuddled by a toddler.

In Jessica's free hand, she held a feather, and with it, she tickled the captain's nose. Now and then, his hand would reach up to itch his nose, his face scrunching up as he did so. However, that wasn't all Jessica had planned; she had poured an oily substance over the steps of the stage, along with a tripwire. Once again, Jessica tickled the captain with her feather.

"Go away," he grumbled and swatted his arm around in the air.

To Jessica's disappointment, he still didn't wake up, and he turned onto his side, lightly snoring. Again, she reached down and stroked the feather along his cheek.

The captain slapped his face.

Jessica fist-pumped her hands into the air as she cheered silently. She quickly made her escape by swinging her body up the purple silk ropes and hid within the rafters above, a broad grin sprawled across her face. The show was about to commence.

Kirk incoherently growled, having woken himself up by slapping himself in the face for some reason. He'd been having a perfect dream as well. He'd surpassed his older brother and had been rubbing it in his face until his dream was rudely interrupted. He pulled his hand away from his face and groggily stood up, still feeling the effects from last night's drinking game in which he'd arrived at a draw with Jessica. His head pounded, and the bright light stung his eyes, forcing him to close them again.

He wiped his face of sleep and yawned, looking around the tavern. It was empty except for Elena, who stood behind the bar cleaning glasses, and Cain, who leaned against the exit with his arms crossed like he was waiting for something to happen, an amused look in his blue eyes.

"Where's Little Red?" Kirk frowned as he looked over the empty bar; it was too quiet. "And the crew?"

Cain shrugged, which only caused Kirk's frown to deepen.

Where was everyone?

The thought left him when the aroma of bacon cooking in the kitchens behind the bar caught his attention. His stomach growled, his mouth watered, and he licked his lips. He was starving, and only bacon would satisfy the empty void within him. He stomped his left boot down onto the steps of the stage when his senses went into high alert, and his face dropped as an unpleasant shiver ran down his spine.

He heard the haunting sound of humming laughter, the warning he had become accustomed to over the past few weeks that he had learnt meant that something terrible was about to happen. The Giggling Assassin had struck, and Kirk had a feeling he'd already stepped into her trap.