Chapter Twenty

I blinked hazily at the ceiling, the dream fresh in my mind.

Part of me couldn't decipher reality from hope manifested in the dream, but another part just knew it was real. I could still picture every little detail in my mind. I never had dreams like that.

Torn, I sighed and turned to look at the clock. My eyes widened at the time and I cursed, throwing back the covers. I scrambled out of the bed and threw a drawer open, grabbing the first pair of jean that I saw. I tugged on the mismatched clothing hazardously, almost tripping over myself as I made my way to the bathroom. I tied a knot on the side of the bottom of my sleep shirt as I examined myself in the mirror, my bed hair making me look like a tired lion, and paused at my neck.

That can't be normal.

I leaned in and examined the bite mark, marveling at the fact that it's completely healed only to leave a noticeable scar in its place. A flash of memory from last night hit me and I physically shook it off, focusing on getting out the door. I ran a brush through my hair and grabbed my shoes just before I rushed out the door, crash face first into the back of a muscled man with an oomph.

The figure shifted out of the way and turned to face me, taking in my chaotic appearance, completely opposite of how he looked. I skipped over the simple attire he wore with disinterest and focused in on his strong jaw and moved upwards. His features hinted at so many different heritages that I couldn't really pinpoint any that stood out stronger than any of the others. Neither of us said anything, letting the silence stretch for several seconds before I raise my eyebrows in question.

"Alaisdair Winters," he finally said, introducing himself with a small amount of pride audible in his voice.

"Okay." I looked him up and down one last time in appreciation and turned to continue on my way. I was already late. I didn't have time to flirt.

Hearing the heavy footsteps following closely behind me, I stopped abruptly, turning to direct an expectant look at him. "Do you need something?"

His expression stayed the same. "I've been assigned to you," he answered, his tone almost too polite and matter of fact.

I blink up at him a few times before responding. "Okay." I paused, and continued with more confusion tingeing my voice, "What the hell does that mean?"

"I'm your bodyguard," he said simply.

They got me a fucking bodyguard?

"And who in their right mind assigned you to me?" I asked with a laugh in my voice.

I mean, the man was gorgeous. Whoever thought it was a good idea to stick him with me couldn't have known me.

"Kieran," he said, taking me aback.

I looked at him in surprise. Definitely did not expect that.

"He picked you to guard my body?" I asked slowly.

He nodded and watched me with a carefully crafted expression, giving absolutely nothing away.

"Huh," I stared blankly passed him before moving on.

"Well, I guess I'll have to thank him." I let my eyes move over his body flirtatiously.

He gave me nothing, no reaction at all, and I smiled at the challenge it presented. Right then, however, I still needed to get moving.

"Well, I'm late so keep up." I straighten and started back down the way.

"Late?"

I threw him a look over my shoulder. "Yeah, training. It's a pain but, from what I'm told, it's necessary."