Chapter 18

Ryder//

"I've been trying to get you to go celebrate Christmas at ours for years and now he does it in a few minutes huh?" Jane bitched. Yes, bitched, because it couldn't be classified as anything but bitching.

The tone of voice she uses in such arguments pulls my last nerve like Spencer pulls his guitar chords.

"I told you it's not like that" I tried to explain but the way she was arguing literally meant that she's not gonna be convinced no matter what I said.

"Oh well tell me, like what?"

"It's gonna be a group visit, plus he lives with his dad only. So it's not like we're going to be barging a big family's Christmas holiday"

"You know my parents don't think of it like that!" her parents, oh God. They're absolute nightmares. Her mom's voice makes rat squeaks sound pleasant. I didn't mean to sound rude but it is so annoying you can't listen to it for more than ten minutes straight.

And boy once she starts talking there's no stopping her. Like mother like daughter.

"I know your parents are wonderful folks, but it just seems less fussy if I go with Spencer and Jack. I need to get things sorted out with Jack anyway"

"The bastard!" she screeched, making my ear squiggle in pain. I couldn't put the phone speaker away from it because I had it fixed between my ear and my shoulder as I packed a small bag of necessities.

Honestly she was complaining so much it was making it hard for me to pack properly.

"That's mean" I scolded her. I don't like it when she calls people bad names, even when they deserve it.

"Did you already forget what he did to me? He and Spencer accused me of hoeing around with Tyler. I'll never let that go down"

"Oh believe me I know" I muttered.

"Come again?"

"I said I have to go" I just wanted this phone call to end.

"Where to?"

"Spencer was supposed to be here an hour ago I'm gonna go check what's taking him so long"

"Of course. It's always Spencer isn't it" I could legit feel her eyes roll. It was so creepy.

"Oh for goodness sake just let me breathe. Please" I huffed.

"Oh so now I-" I hung up on her amidst her sentence. What was wrong with her today?

Believe me when I say she's really not like that. But I don't know what happens to her. It's like when Spencer and I are on good terms, she becomes naggy and annoying. And when he and I are fighting, she returns to her normal self. As if she was jealous of something that wasnt there, and will never be there.

Spencer and I could never be together or whatever she was thinking. He was a boy, and I wasnt gay. Though I have to admit some guys are attractive, but I never really thought about being with a guy. It never crossed my mind, and some guy like Spencer wont be a factor in it. No matter how funny he is, and no matter how good he sounds. No matter how beautiful his smile is, nor how cute his height is. I wasn't gonna fall for him.

I dialed Spencer's phone. It rang all the way, but wasn't answered.

I tried again, but the same thing happened. It didn't even go to voicemail so I guess he doesn't have voicemail activated.

I felt slightly worried that he wasn't picking up. He said he'll be back in less than an hour, but it has been 2 hours since he left to buy the damn tickets.

I had no idea why was I worrying this much. For all I know he couldve gone to a café, or went to grab a bite, or literally more than a 100 possibility, but I couldnt not worry. It wasnt me. I never was someone to worry insensibly about people. Yet here I was eating my brain up with concern.

I decided to do nothing about it. I should not be overthinking shit. So I sat on my bed and tangled my hands together as my leg was shaking. Fuck it.

I grabbed my coat and keys and went to the bus station.

It wasnt far so I walked my way there. Or technically, I dashed my way there. Paced my way there. Ran my way there. I just wanted to be there with him.

As I walked there, my mind started reasoning my worry by itself; making up excuses as to why was I being so anxious for him.

One main reason, the most convincing one to be exact, was that I knew how unstable he was. Especially that he was on new medications, which affect his mental health.

He'd be asleep, and suddenly wake up in the middle of the night, and just goes to the couch and watches TV till he has work to go to, or college, and if he doesnt have any, he'd watch TV the whole day uninterrupted.

He'd be joking like his usual self and suddenly some sort of sorrow takes over his features and he just becomes distant, and it lasts for days.

He didn't deserve any of that. He was- he was too pure. Too innocent. He did nothing to hurt people, and he always shows concern when needed. He cares, I know that he cares, and he's so peaceful towards everyone and himself. He's always honest, always truthful, even if he was very guarded. Which had me doubting Jane's honesty.

What if she was the one lying all along and he wasn't?

Gosh Ryder get a grip youre doubting your own girlfriend over him.

I finally got to the bus station, but it was empty-of Spencer at least. Other than that it was packed with people loading busses and buying tickets. He wasnt there. I passed my hand through my hair, not knowing what to do. I really wanted to see him. I really wanted to.

I went to the ticket booth and stood in line. I was too impatient and I asked a lady who was in front of me if I can go first and she was too kind to actually let me. I spoke to the receptionist.

"Um have you seen a guy, my age, blonde hair, this tall (I placed my hand horizontally to my chest), wears big glasses and a button up shirt? He was here about an hour or 2 ago?"

"Sir," the dark skinned lady said "do you have any idea how many people pass by here a minute? I literally saw like 7 people with that description the past hour"

"I saw a guy that fits that description" an old sounding voice came from my right. I stepped out of the line because people in queue were starting to get exasperated. And the receptionist wasnt gonna be of any help either ways.

An aged man, in his sixties or seventies, lowered a newspaper he was reading. He looked like hes been here for a while now, and didnt seem to be leaving anytime soon. "I think he went to the left"

"Thank you! Thank you so much"

"No problem kid. Go get your man" he said but I didnt hear what the last part was because I was already rushing.

I left the bus station and headed left, in hopes that I find him nearby or something.

I got lucky.

He was there, sitting on a bench on the street, staring into void. As if debating something. Something bad. I just had a bad feeling that he wasnt okay, and that's what he looked like; like he'd seen a ghost.

More to come soon. Very soon. Don't forget to vote! Thanks for reading x