Chapter Seven- The Demon Brothers and the Land of Waves

Hey, Hi, Hello.

Here is chapter seven, part one of the adventure in the land of water. I hope you enjoy this chapter, and I apologize greatly for the lateness. Hopefully this, along with the second upload later this week, will make up for it. Sorry if it sucks, but please enjoy it anyway. Tell me what you think of it!

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Naruto.
WARNINGS: Sasuke-chan gets talked down to.

 Anything in bold is important or with emphasis.
This is what memories look like.
This is what Kimi's thoughts look like. 

--

   Nearly one month of many D missions and some training later, we finally scored our first 'C' mission, courtesy of Naruto's incessant complaining. The Hokage finally relented and we were tasked with the escort of an old, drunken bridge builder back to his home.

   The night before our mission started, I was busy packing my things in my room, checking things off of my mental checklist. I was bringing a few basic medical supplies, two sets of clothes, a little bit of food, a canteen full of water, a bar of soap and a light blanket. It was a bit heavier than I would have liked, but I was going to put up with it. My weapons pouch, full of kunai and a few shuriken, was to be strapped to my upper right thigh. I had finally decided to place my hitae-ate wrapped around my leg, just above my weapons pouch. Tucked away in my weapons pouch was a set of cards. Playing cards- any kind, even go fish or something similar- was something I rather enjoyed doing.

   After setting my pack to the side and showering once, I fall asleep on my bed. We'd be leaving tomorrow relatively early in the morning, so I was going to sleep early.

   My dreams that night are surprisingly tame-I dreamt of a memory from long ago, when I was a small child. My mother would take me from my crib and rock me gently in a rocking chair. As she did this, she would hum a little lullaby, one that was forever engraved in my head, while stroking soothing circles on my back. It's one of my favorite memories ever, because it was of a time of when things weren't so fucked up.

   My alarm clock beeps noisily away, disrupting the sleep I was actually getting. I roll gracelessly from my bed before padding down the hallway and going through my normal routine. I drink some tea to soothe my stomach and I scarf down a slice and a half of toast. Then I'm off, walking leisurely to the gates. The normal guards, chunins named Kotetsu and Izumo, are there.

   Sasuke is there a few minutes after me, Naruto following shortly after. Naruto and I converse for a few minutes before Kakashi-sensei and Tazuna show up. After that, we set off.

   We're walking with little conversation down a path. We cross a bridge and soon after, I see something that doesn't quite fit. A puddle of water sits in the middle of the path. What was strange was that it hadn't rained for several days. "Kakashi-sensei, did-" I begin.

   "Ah, Kimi-chan, just keep walking," he says quietly, an underlying tone of urgency hidden in his seemingly casual tone. I start to nod.

   Then, from the corner of my eye, I spot sudden movement. Naruto, Sasuke and I are plunged into our first ninja battle as Kakashi-sensei is attacked from behind. Two men with strange masks and large metal gauntlets with a giant shuriken chain attached appear.

   The next events happen in rapid succession. The chain winds around Kakashi-sensei and pulls. With a sickening tear Kakashi-sensei is torn to bloody bits. I feel frozen, seeing his remains. However, my body seems to switch to auto pilot as the men act. I jump in front of Tazuna and ready a kunai. Naruto remains still as the men turn to go after him. My voice is caught in my throat as I try to scream out to Naruto, beg him to move. Sasuke seems to be the only one who can function properly. Just as the men get close to Naruto, Sasuke springs into action. Tossing a shuriken and kunai almost at the same time, Sasuke manages to pin the shuriken chain to a tree. Sasuke lands on their gauntlets and pushes them apart. The men are forced to break the chain. As the men snap out of it and begin to charge towards Tazuna and I, I find myself throwing the kunai. It hits its mark and embeds itself into the stomach of one of the men. I'm in the middle of pulling another kunai out as Sasuke keeps playing hero and jumps in front of me. Just in time, Kakashi-sensei's 'remains' are engulfed in a plume of smoke. As it clears, it's revealed it was a simple substitution jutsu. Kakashi-sensei appears in between the men and incapacitates them.

   I let out a slow breath as my body relaxes and the threat is reduced. I mechanically slip the kunai back into my weapons pouch. I hear Kakashi-sensei admonish Naruto for freezing up and congratulate Sasuke and I for 'doing a good job'. I mentally roll my eyes. Kakashi-sensei's offhanded comment on Naruto's inability to move might have seemed relatively innocent, but it hits its mark. It was anything but innocent, and all of us, even Tazuna, knew that. Not only that, but I was greatly upset that Sasuke apparently felt the need to intervene with my guarding of Tazuna. I'm ready to dart forward and stab Sasuke with my kunai as he steps away, turns back to look at me and say, "You're welcome."

   I walk quietly, impassive, after Kakashi-sensei and Tazuna. I stop in place as Sasuke asks Naruto, "Are you sure you're not hurt, scaredy cat?" If I thought I was angry before, it paled in comparison. My blood was officially boiling with rage. I turn to look at Sasuke before continuing on. It wouldn't be right to murder my team mate in the middle of a mission. So I keep walking, as do Naruto and Sasuke.

   "By the way, Naruto, there's poison on these claws. You need to open the wound and drain the blood out," Kakashi-sensei informs him before dragging the men away.

--

   I swear to Kami that if I see one more self righteous smirk from Sasuke, I shall disregard all ninja rules and kill him.

   So it only makes sense for Sasuke to glance over at Naruto with that stupid little smirk of his. I exhale rather loudly, drawing attention from the team and Tazuna. We had been standing in relative silence, taking a small break. Kakashi-sensei had already tied the two guys to a large tree.

   My voice is low, but catches every ounce of attention. "Uchiha Sasuke, if you do not cease the self righteous smirks and holier-than-thou attitude, I will not hesitate to seriously injure you. Everyone reacts differently to certain situations. Naruto didn't choose as good a course of action as you did, but that does not entitle you to any sort of gloating rights nor does it put you in a higher position or increase your worthiness. He will redeem himself, and that will be that. And in any case, I am perfectly capable of performing well without you guarding me from an enemy," I finish. My arms are crossed in front of me and an apathetic tone colors my voice. I look at Sasuke directly in his incredulous eyes.

   Every one is surprised, whether it be from the length of my words, the content and implications, or a mixture of both. Sasuke's mouth is hanging open a bit, Naruto looks glad I defended him, Tazuna a bit confused and likely not following the exchange, and Kakashi-sensei looks impressed, actually. That lifts my mood because, I'll admit, I was developing a small crush on him. I figured it was just normal and that my feelings would swiftly disappear. So I hoped, at least.

   "Well," Kakashi-sensei whistles, hand on the back of his head, "Sure wasn't expecting that one."

--

The end. The rest of the adventure in the land of waves shall be in the next chapter. I hope you liked this one, in any case. It kinda sucks, in my opinion, and I've written and re-written this flippin' chapter what feels like a billion times, but I have to post something. Please vote and comment! BTW, the song on the side is 'Kristy Killings' by Snow White's Poison Bite. It's a pretty cool song, but doesn't fit the chapter in any way. Oh well!