Act 4: Zoo Endurance

Day 2 – 21:25; Genesee Park, CO United States:

The subway train comes to a stop.

For most of the trip, I was restless because of all that had happened to us, but eventually, I fell fast asleep. I awake to see that we have arrived in another underground subway, of some sort, and I assume we are in Colorado like we are supposed to be. We climb out of the train and travel up ruined stairs. The reason we choose this path is that above it is an "exit" sign with no power. The guys and I are very cautious, checking every corner for an infected person.

After the events, we've been through, who wouldn't be paranoid?

"Union Station goes through and around Denver, so I wonder if maybe this underground station is somehow connected to it because I mean, I've never seen a subway in Denver," David wonders as we reach the top of the crumbling stairs. Our path is blocked by doors leading to places unknown. Fortunately, there is no sign of any zombies in this subway but no sign of life, either.

"Ty, help me push open these doors, they ain't budgin'!" Dwayne is frustrated while pushing with all his might against the wooden doors. Ty runs up ahead of the group to the different door Dwayne is driving to help push them open.

"Argh, dude they still won't open!" Ty complains.

"Idiots... You guys don't see that safe-lock, right there, on the door?" Cheyenne points out.

"We need something to break open this door," David states the obvious, but everyone is losing hope. While everyone complains and such about not getting out of this place, I am looking around for something to possibly pry open the door or some action of that nature. Eventually, I find the perfect tool and go to retrieve it.

"Crap, man, how are we gonna get this thing open?"

"Stand back, guys!" I warn everyone, as I come walking up to the doors with an emergency ax I had found. I immediately begin swinging as hard as I could at the worn doors. "Cheyenne, grab that fire extinguisher near you, and get ready! I think I hear zombies behind these doors! They're probably being attracted by all the noise I'm making! As soon as I get these doors open, you need to hose those things down with that extinguisher!" Cheyenne rushes for the fire extinguisher, uses a broken piece of concrete to bust the glass of the casing around it, grabs the tank, then runs back to us, holding the nozzle in hand, prepared to attack. By then, I have the doors beaten up, so finally, I wedge the ax between the two doors and pry them the rest of the way open with all my physical force.

"Now!"

Hordes of zombies begin to attempt to flood in, as the group stands back in fear. Cheyenne jumps before them quickly, as I move out of the way. With her head turned away and her eyes closed, she sprays the zombies down with the substance from the fire extinguisher. The zombies are completely dazed and halt their frenzy, and some even lost balance.

"Get them while they're dazed!"

On my command, everyone storms out of the doors, attacking the zombies, one by one. Every last zombie here is killed; the last being killed by Cheyenne, with a great bash from her fire extinguisher, and after, she drops the tank on the ground.

We are out of the exit, and now we are in some kind of shelter. We all check around for more zombies but find none, so we progress outside, checking out the building we were previously inside of. It appears to be some kind of picnic shelter, made of stones. Outside it is dark from the night. After seeing this, we press on through beautiful forests of ponderosa pine, Douglas-fir, and lodgepole pine, a bit, until we reach an opening to nature at the top of a hill, showing us a great view. We stand still for a moment, embracing the magnificent surroundings before us, in awe. According to David, we are in Genesee Park; the largest park in the Denver Mountain Parks system. He realizes this by witnessing two large mountains before us, Genesee Mountain and Bald Mountain. From this great height, we can clearly see the "Mile-High City," Denver, with its bright lights.