Chapter 43: Chocolate and Wine

I was yet again bouncing in my seat with excitement. After hours of switching on and off, Logan and I were finally nearing Louise's address.

We had both agreed that my birthday was getting pretty close and that we should hurry up with seeing Louise. Our solution to cutting time was just to keep driving.

I'd drive until I was too tired, then Logan would while I slept in the back. We only stopped for food and bathroom breaks, although Logan proved all he needed was an empty soda bottle.

Ew.

"Fifteen minutes," Logan smiled at me as we passed a sign signifying the town we were supposed to be in and I grinned.

It'd seemed like an eternity since I saw my best friend. After seeing her five days in a row for years, I felt like I was going through withdrawal.

Louise had taken up a job teaching two sweet little girls in Marquette Michigan. Her house was right on the lake and I could see why she chose this state.

It was so beautiful with all of the lakes and forests. Cooler here, but it just about perfect.

I thought about surprising Louise and not telling her when we were going to arrive, but she insisted on knowing. She told me she was going to cook us a wonderful dinner and clean until everything sparkled.

The last time we stopped for gas, I called her on a pay phone and told her we were about an hour out.

Nix wiggled in my lap, picking up on my excitement. We'd gotten off the interstate a while ago and now we were cruising down some country highway under swaying green trees.

I looked at the torn piece of paper I had written Louise's address on. She said we'd really have to look for her driveway entrance, it was sort of hard to spot but that a couple of small boulders would be marking it.

"Are you sure we haven't gone too far?" I asked Logan, looking out the window to see if I could spot the rocks.

"You've been glued to the window this whole time. You'll see them," he said with a chuckle.

Nix paced anxiously in my lap and I winced as her sharp nails scraped my legs. I put her in the back seat so she could walk around, "I know, I'm going stir crazy too."

I turned back to the window and scanned my side of the road, waiting to see the markers. I tapped Logans shoulder excitedly when I spotted something, "There!"

Two large, smooth rocks the size of dogs stood at either side of a gravel driveway practically hidden by the shrubs and overhanging trees.

Logan practically break-checked me and Nix to stop in time. We turned down the drive and I was surprised how long it was.

After a good two minutes of driving through the woods, the trees opened up to see a small white cottage with red shutters and a wrap around porch.

The lake lay behind it and small waves washed at a smooth pebble beach. Louise was insanely lucky to have such a beautiful place.

I beamed as the screen door of the house swung open with a clatter.

"Careful!" Logan laughed as I jumped out of the truck just before it was fully stopped. Nix began to bark as I sprinted across the rocks.

Louise's red hair flew behind her as she jumped off the porch. We slammed into each other and I wrapped my arms around her slim waist tightly.

"Oh my god, I've missed you so much!" Louise sniffed into my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry the cops tried to raid your house!" I muttered randomly and she let out a laugh.

Louise gently pushed me back and held me at arms length. Her glassy eyes widened as one of her hands tugged a strand of my hair, "Wow, Eva your hair!"