Chapter Four

Willow narrowed her eyes as the darkness with eyes seemed to stand and walk toward her. She looked over her shoulder and gave Breeze a pleading look. This alpha wasn't like the one Willow had known when she was a pup. Her old alpha would stay outside of her den and interact with the pack as if she were just a hunter herself. That's what an alpha should do.

The strange alpha stepped into the light that filtered through the entrance of the cave. Willow could barely make out the shape of a large, wide-shouldered male, his fur, thick and the color of black. His yellow eyes shone even brighter in the sun. The alpha's ears were forward in interest as his gaze swept swiftly over Willow's pelt, then switched it to Breeze. "You did a good job in capturing this wolf, Breeze. I'm very proud of you." He said, his voice deep.

     Breeze dipped her head. "Thank you, Alpha. I will continue to do my best in the future."

     "I'm sure you will," The alpha said, switching his gaze from Breeze to Willow. "As for you, you are now under my command, seeing how you were caught on our territory." He paused and took a breath. "You may now refer to me as Alpha. You will be staying here as a prisoner until we have decided you can go."

Willow flattened her ears against her head, about to spit out a nasty remark when she felt Breeze touch her with the tip of her tail, reminding her to not be aggressive around Alpha. Willow sighed, shaking her head. "Right, okay."

Alpha's eyes hardened. "Good. Don't even think of trying to escape. We will be guarding the camp at all times, and this pack is in perfect shape for a fight, unlike you." Willow narrowed her eyes at the alpha as he gestured with his tail to Willows ribs that shown through her pelt. She had not gotten the proper amount of food she needed when she was in her old territory. It had been very plentiful from the start, but after a while, the prey had started slowly to die off.

     "Okay..." Willow trailed off, keeping her thoughts about the punishment to herself.

     Alpha blinked in reply. "Breeze, lead this she-wolf back to her den. Oh, and fetch some guards too."

Breeze dipped her head, then turned and padded out of the den, flicking her tail as a signal for Willow to follow her. The ivy tickled Willow's fur as she walked out of the den and into the daylight. She took a long breath, enjoying not being in the stuffy cave. The sun was riding just below the treetops, making the shadows from the weeping willow tree stretch across the camp, causing it to give off a tired vibe. Three wolves were chatting in front of the guards' den. One was a gray and black she-wolf, another was a white she-wolf. The last was an irritated-looking gray male.

"Dash! Birch! Mallard! Come over here!" Breeze barked beside Willow, causing the three wolves to stand and pad over. Willow couldn't help but notice the angry look the male shot her.

"Everyone, this is Willow. She was caught on our territory and she will be staying here as a prisoner for a while..." Breeze paused then turned to Willow." This is Birch," She pointed her muzzle to the white she-wolf. "She is a guard. This," Breeze then pointed at the gray and black she-wolf. "This is Dash. She is a guard as well. Lastly, this is Mallard. He's a guard." Breeze pointed at the gray male.

"So, what is this runt doing on our territory?" Mallard snarled, his voice directed at Breeze, but his harsh gaze still pinned on Willow.

Willow's eyes glittered with humor. The male was much smaller than her, yet he was still calling her a runt. It'd be more fitting if he was talking to himself... Willow thought, just before opening her mouth to explain. "I was just passing through."