Back Home

Late on the night of Sunday, October 31, 3938, a cool breeze rustled the colorful autumn leaves as Lida and Yuki stepped onto the platform of the train station, their anticipation mingling with the faint scent of bonfires still lingering in the air. The station itself was adorned with festive decorations and paper lanterns, creating an eerie yet enchanting atmosphere. They were surrounded by people in costumes, some of which were quite elaborate. Some of the costumes were monstrous in appearance, while many others were simply humorous.

Lida's light brown skin glowed softly under the station's warm lights, and her long, straight brown hair cascaded down her back, catching the light in shimmering waves. Her bright blue eyes seemed to hold a hint of mischief, a reflection of the playful spirit of the night. The yukata that Lida wore, though slightly snug around her subtly curved belly, lent an alluring charm to her every movement. Exhausted from Halloween festivities, Yuki's kimono-wrapped form sought solace in the rhythmic motion of the train, while Lida tried to entice him with a dance.

"Do you mind telling me what's on your mind?" Lida inquired, her voice a mellifluous melody cutting through the ambient noise. "I can tell there's something troubling you."

Yuki sighed, the mask of fatigue giving way to the raw vulnerability that Lida's presence always seemed to uncover. "I haven't been home in so long," he confessed, his voice a soft echo of longing. 

"I've been avoiding my sisters for a while now. I love them, but they can be a bit overbearing. And I needed time away from my parents and their snobbish, old-fashioned, xenophobic ways."

Lida's gaze softened as she listened, her dance subsiding into a reassuring caress. "Just know I'm here for you."

"Even if they cut off my allowance?" Yuki's question held a blend of resignation and apprehension, the weight of familial expectations hanging heavy.

"What?" Lida's eyes widened in genuine surprise.

"I've been ignoring their attempts at contact," Yuki admitted, his vulnerability laid bare. "Repercussions are likely."

The gravity of the situation settled in, and Lida's lips curved into a playful smile. "Oh. In that case, could I get an advance payment?"

A soft chuckle escaped Yuki, a fleeting moment of levity in the midst of his inner turmoil. "Yes. But you haven't stayed with me just for my money, have you?"

"Of course not," Lida replied with an ardent sincerity. "There's the food, sex, and conversation, and I guess there's even a bit of an emotional connection, too."

Yuki's eyes sparkled with a mixture of relief and affection, his hand finding Lida's in a comforting embrace. "Thank you," he whispered. "By the way, what's your ethnic and religious background?"

"Montenegrin, Arab, and Romani," Lida shared, her voice carrying a sense of unapologetic pride. "Non-denominational Muslim."

"Yeah, my parents probably won't like you." Yuki's admission was accompanied by a rueful smile, a silent acknowledgment of the hurdles that lay ahead.

From the train station, a sleek black limousine carried Lida and Yuki through the night, its plush interior a stark contrast to the tense atmosphere that had enveloped them. As they approached their destination, an elegant traditional Japanese house emerged from the shadows, its graceful architecture illuminated by soft lantern light. As they pulled up to the entrance, Yuki turned to Lida. "I'll go in first," he said, his voice tinged with a mixture of caution and determination. He stepped out of the car and approached the entrance, his heart pounding with a blend of anticipation and anxiety. He opened the door and almost immediately found himself with a gun to his head and a sword to his throat, which was just the sort of welcome he had come to expect from his sisters.