Chapter 13

Lilian's birthday came sooner than expected. Well, not exactly - it was a fixed date, after all -, but still. Daphne half-wondered what she should get for Lilian's birthday, and also what she should do for it. Perhaps she should invest in getting Lilian in one of those little league Quidditch teams, perhaps she should get the little potioneer kit she saw Lilian looking. The other half of her was paying attention to Harry and Lilian chatting, Harry doing the dishes while Lilian did her very best to dry them, and Daphne quietly read the news. She had made breakfast, let Harry deal with washing.

The schedule they worked out was surprisingly simple - two mornings a week with Daphne and Lilian, a weekend a month with them -, and as such, it allowed to Harry get to know Lilian. She just wished he'd be able to help her think a good birthday gift for her, but when would be an appropriate time? At least she didn't have work today, and Daphne couldn't help but wonder if his day off wasn't the same as hers.

"Hey, Harry?", Daphne called. Harry hummed an answer, and she closed the newspaper slowly. "Can I assume you're on your day off?"

"I can make it one, if that's what you're asking me,", he replied, and Daphne sighed. Lilian perked up.

"Can it be my day off too?", Lilian asked, and Harry messed up her hair, so similar to his.

"You have school, young lady,", Daphne chided, rising up and approaching them as Harry laughed.

"That's not fair. Why can't I stay at home too?", Lilian complained, and Daphne sighed.

"Because school is important, I'd guess. Your mother had her best years at school,", Harry said. Lilian looked up at them. "I think, at least."

"You may not know mine, but you sure were having.", Daphne replied, and Lilian, as if transfixed by their interaction, sat on the sink. At least she was still in her pajamas. "You canceled the exams second year. Can't have more fun than that."

"Sorry, I didn't know I was talking with Hermione.", he retorted, and Daphne snorted, a smile illuminating his face. "You're forgetting that time I got called by the Goblet of Fire."

"Nothing says quite fun as dying, truly,", she laughed, and Lilian perked up. "You did look like dying during the Yule Ball. I was tempted to put you out of your misery."

"A spell to my head was exactly what I would have needed, thank you very much. Maybe I would have danced better."

"Mum, do you have any photos with uncle Harry?", Lilian asked, pulling slightly on Daphne's robes, and Daphne looked at her daughter. "When you were younger?"

She did have a few photos with Harry, but none of when they were younger than seventeen for obvious reasons.

"No, sweetheart. Harry and I only met in our last year.", Daphne replied, and Harry, with a smile still gracing his face, went back to washing the dishes.

Lilian frowned, and Daphne could guess what was the next question.

"But isn't Hogwarts tiny?"

"Interhouse prejudice was a problem, Lilian,", Harry replied. "I was in Gryffindor, your mother in Slytherin, and it didn't leave much room for friendships at first."

"But that's stupid!", Lilian interjected, and Daphne messed up her daughter's hair. If only that could have been the thinking during her childhood.

"Well, you better remember that when you go to Hogwarts, but for now, you have normal school. Go get ready, sweetheart,", Daphne said, and Lilian, huffing slightly, got off the sink, going to her room. Daphne started drying the dishes, and when she heard the click of Lilian's door, she spoke up. "Could you, perhaps, help me chose a birthday gift for her?"