22. Accountant's Alter Ego: Sex Obsessed

Andie melted like butterscotch in Oliver's arms, enjoying the hug way too much. The truth was, he could not be hers. He had to marry vile Talia. To save Andie from some idiotic alien law about who people are allowed to love. It was bad enough earthlings hadn't figured out that it's impossible to adjudicate love, but the Amu were supposed to be an advanced species. Capable of interstellar travel. Honestly, why did anyone try to fight biology? A lump formed in her throat. Being in his arms was so intoxicating it bordered on torture. If she didn't stop now, she never would.

"A few seconds more," Bad Andie begged in a throaty tone.

"Why?"

"To remember."

"As if I could forget. And stop being all profound. It's unnerving," said Andie, stepping out of his embrace and immediately feeling the loss of him. Of his warmth. Of his comfort. He reached for her.

Andie shook her head. "I better get back," she said, voice raspy and full of emotion. "It's Sterling's big night. Donations from this event will fund Ban Plastic Surgery Now! for the next year."

Oliver took Andie's hands. "Let's go far away."

"Far" for an alien could be Wormholing to Pasadena, or it could mean the next galaxy over for all she knew.

"Does it matter?" Bad Andie said. "As long as there's nudity and maybe some 1000 thread-count sheets?" Another naked image of Oliver popped into Andie's mind, courtesy of Bad Andie

"Thanks a lot," Andie grumbled.

"Any time," Bad Andie said. "I have an endless supply of those." A succession of Oliver in romance-cover-worthy poses flashed across Andie's consciousness. The one of him straddling a rocket zooming past Venus lacked all subtlety.

"Everyone's a critic," piped Bad Andie.

"Just stop. You're making me dizzy."

"Now you know what my life is like."

"You don't have a life. We've been over this. You are a figment of my imagination."

"Go ahead. Believe that."

Andie shook her head, willing Bad Andie to go "far far away" herself. After successfully banishing her alter-ego, she squeezed Oliver's hands. "Like you'll "fly me to the moon?" Andie quipped, hoping humor would keep her from falling into an abyss. She needed to keep it together. For Sterling. For her own sanity.

"If you want, we could visit earth's moon. However, it's not that enjoyable. The low gravity is fun, but the lack of atmosphere is an issue." Of course, he'd been to the moon. The Amu probably had a secret base on the far side. Hopefully, there were no Ewoks. "I had somewhere else in mind."

His blue eyes sparkled—not with amusement, but with something else. Lust? Hope? "There's a little planet I know. Tropical. White sand beaches. Two-and-a-half suns."

"Two-and-a-half?"

"Yes. One sun has a strange orbit. But the sunsets are incredible We can take the Priority One to the Magnificent, obtain a small spacecraft, and be on the beach in a couple of hours."

"I'd love to, Oliver, but you know that's impossible."

He raised an eyebrow and gazed at her. "Why?"

"Because I can't leave Sterling. On earth. With your mother. The only reason she stays away from Sterling is that I work for the Star Enquirer."

"She can come too," Oliver offered.

"Sterling would never come. Trust me. And then what would happen to Ernest and Rosalie and Cash and the other Zuts? Your mother threatened to do scientific experiments on them. And she said she'd hurt my mom."