Chapter 11 - Part 1

"News of your outing has already spread throughout the palace," Giles said, helping me dress for dinner later that evening.

"The gossips here certainly are efficient," I noted. My valet pursed his lips.

"If I may, your Highness, a word of counsel?" he asked.

"If you are going to warn me to watch my step, I don't need to hear it again," I said, glancing down to the letter from Andrew that had awaited me in my suite upon my return.

From Andrew, but I could tell mother had been standing over his shoulder as he had written it, for it was peppered with far too many "tread carefully" and "mind your manners" comments. The letter was clearly no more than a request for an update about Ardalone, as there had been little to report in Highcastle, but I couldn't decide whether to feel flattered or annoyed that they felt the need to check in on me so soon.

"Of a sort," Giles said, following my gaze. "Now that the prince has returned, there is bound to be a power struggle as he and Dulciana vie for the throne. As I'm certain you know, you are already embroiled in this struggle because you are the only thing standing in her way."

"If you think I don't already know that, I'm sorely disappointed in you, Giles," I said, slumping into an armchair to massage the bridge of my nose.

"Do not underestimate Dulciana," Giles said. "You might think that flirting with her sister is innocent fun, but the court is talking about your outing. If you push the king too far, he will act, and you will not enjoy the result."

"Once again, I'm disappointed that you think these are all things I don't already know," I muttered.

"If you intend to marry anyone other than Dulciana, you ought to do it quickly and quietly," Giles said. "And plan to sail home, with your bride, on the first available ship."

I pressed my eyes closed, determined not to think of ships and brides and Highcastle.

And the person there that I'd once intended to marry.

"You might view marrying Ana-Cristina as upholding the treaty, but King Felipe and Prince Frederico will think otherwise," Giles continued, mistaking my closed eyes for impatience and not a desperate attempt to focus on the task at hand. "Now you'd best head down to dinner, the gossips will notice if you are late."

Giles' words, again, weren't anything I hadn't already deduced myself. Now that Frederico had returned, I doubted that I'd have much time left to make a decision, especially now that the king had made his opinion on the matter known. The safest choice would be to play along with what he'd asked of me, to avoid all of the other princesses and follow Dulciana around like a dutiful, obedient prince.

But in obeying the king, I wouldn't find a way to skirt the treaty. Not without being sneaky.

As I descended the tower stairs towards the formal dinner awaiting me, I thought back to that morning, to the veiled princess I'd interrupted in the stables. I'd gotten so thoroughly distracted after my ride and meeting with the king and crown prince that I'd nearly forgotten about her. She certainly merited more investigation, but I'd have to be subtle about it. I didn't think that Prince Frederico would take kindly to me expressing any interest in yet another of his sisters, least of all his mysterious twin.

Sounds of conversation tore me from my thoughts as I sauntered into the hallway leading to the formal dining room. The duques and their wives were chatting, some of their eldest children also in attendance. None of the royal family had arrived yet, so I slipped on my usual disguise of a grin and smiled politely to those nobles who looked my way.

The Duque Delminas was quick to cross the room away from me, clapping the Duque Delbosque on the back in greeting. My grin turned to a smirk as I dug my hands into my pockets, striding up to the pair of them.