14 | Forgetting Memories

TODAY WAS Jasmine's least favorite day of the entire year. It transformed her into a lackluster gem, one that no one approached unless they were forced to. This day was only acknowledged by seven people, yet it made her entire world seem to stop turning for twenty four hours.

Today was the day of the shooting, the twelve year death anniversary of her uncle.

Bianca, Karina, and Aditya would visit Rahul's grave this morning, her parents at midday, and her, alone, in the evening. Her resilience after twelve years had only grown and she didn't shed a tear despite feeling her insides break apart one by one, until she was left with nothing but the hair on her head to keep her grounded.

Her vocal cords didn't seem to be working either this morning, so she made it through half the day without uttering a word. Selena and Evan knew better than to push her and they spoke amongst themselves for the majority of lunch. They tried their hardest to make her feel better, though. Evan even offered his entire lunch to her, which was a feat in itself, but Jasmine was in no mood to eat. She sat across from them as they whispered to each other, looking for some way to cheer their best friend up.

"Do you want us to come with you to the cemetery today?" Evan asked, reaching over and taking her hand in his, giving it a quick squeeze. "I know how hard it would be to go through that alone."

Jasmine raised her eyebrow, "You know?" she repeated. "Have you had your uncle die in front of your eyes when you were just six? Have you ever been blamed for that person's death? Have you ever had your entire family fall apart after his death?" she demanded, pulling her hand out of Evan's grasp like she was burnt.

Selena shifted in her seat uncomfortably, her eyes flashing with anger. "Maybe Evan hasn't gone through what you have, but he's just trying to be there for you. There's no need to be a bitch about it."

"Look who's talking," Jasmine scoffed. "None of you know what I'm going through. I'm happy you're there for me and all, but I don't need your advice on something you have no idea about." She slung her bag over her shoulder and rose out of her seat. Selena glared at her and whispered something unintelligible to Evan. "I'll see you guys next period," Jasmine said, jutting her chin upwards before she stalked out into the hallway, deciding to sit in her History class until lunch ended.

She took her normal seat and sighed loudly. Ms. Vienna watched her with piqued interest but didn't say anything, continuing to write the main of idea of their lesson on the board. Jasmine eyes ran over the sentence– "Hitler Relies On New Allies and Breaks the Nazi-Soviet Pact"– and cracked a stiff smile when she saw the caricature of an ecstatic Mussolini and depressed Stalin directly beneath it. Jasmine, tired of focusing her eyes on the dusty chalkboard in front of her, dropped her head on to her desk and stayed that way until the bell rang. Shayan fell into the seat beside her, a hostile silence filling the air between them.

Shayan looked at her briefly. "It'll be okay," he muttered under his breath.

"Maybe for you." She bit back, irritation lacing her voice. She tapped her pencil against her desk as students began to file into the room, Selena and Evan included. They glanced at her briefly, Evan with pity and Selena with annoyance. She was always the most stubborn of the three when it came to their fights. Selena could hold a grudge until she died if she wanted to.

Shayan shot her a look after hearing her response and Jasmine ignored all of them, anger bubbling in her heart. She was never so agitated and the one day she was, it was justified, but her friends would still be offended.

The class continued to drone on as Jasmine lost herself in her thoughts reluctantly. These flashbacks were starting to make a recurring appearance in her daily life and it drained all the minimal energy she had in her just like that. Her therapist had told her there was no way to get rid of the memories, nightmares, or paranoia without self-control, but Jasmine was much too tired to exercise the strength to shut her mind off. She had no choice, then, but to watch the movie unfolding before her eyes.