Prince Tristan

"And what about this one sire?" The servant asked, handing the King yet another document.

Tristan watched as his father took the paper and quickly read it. Then he smiled and signed something with his quill.

"Alright, that can be arranged. Anything else Mr. Jameson?" He asked.

The servant, who was also a dear old friend of his father, shook his head with a warm smile.

"No, no sire. Everything seems to be in order now. Than you." He said, bowing.

The King returned a smile. "Good, good. Honestly, what is Bartholomew thinking, catching a cold and leaving all such work on his father? Remind me to tease him as soon as the fever fades."

Mr. Jameson let out a light laugh. "Indeed, I shall tell him. Although. I think we both know that Miss Lila will be quick to follow your lead with her own jokes. She does not like it when you tease her ailing husband."

Tristan did his best to hold back a laugh. He knew as well as anyone how feisty Lady Lila could be, especially when it came to her family! Even the King stood no chance against her.

"Trust me my friend, I look forward to such occasions." His father chuckled.

Then Mr. Jameson bowed and left, giving the two of them privacy at long last. Tristan had been called into the King's study almost an hour ago, but because of pressing matters their discussion had been made to wait. Now it was nearly ten o'clock, and his father looked quite worn out from his duties.

"Father, this can wait if need be. You look tired." He said gently.

"I am always tired these days. But alas, this is a matter that cannot delay. I trust you know of what we must discuss."

Tristan grimaced. Yes, of course he knew, being that his twenty-first year was about to arrive. According to the law, he could no longer remain unmarried. If he chose to forgo finding a bride before that day, the throne would be passed on to his younger brother.

Honestly, he had no problem giving up the title as eldest Prince, even if it meant giving up the prospect of being named King. It was not something he looked forward to, nor was it something he dreaded. In truth, he was merely indifferent the situation. However, since he did not wish to let down his father or his mother, who had spent many years grooming him to take over their fine rule, Tristan was doing his very best to turn out as a good fit for this tole. From a very young age he had been trained to take on his father's Kingdom, a responsibility he intended to honor with all his heart. Besides, his next brother in line was much too careless for such a position. Why, Dustan would sooner let the country fall than to get out of bed at a reasonable time!

"So, what has the counsel said? Is there a list of this years most eligible women? Am I to be bombarded by their perceived qualifications and beauty?" He mumbled.

His father gave him a sympathetic look. "They planned to approach you with all that, yes. But, knowing your hesitance in the matter, I decided to come up with a new idea. Something a bit unconventional really."

Tristan was intrigued. "Something unconventional? Like what?"

His father, who was a man known for his unusual way of dealing with issues, and his knack for making his own brand of mischief, was also keen on any and everything 'unconventional'.

"Well, after thinking about the matter of your marriage seriously, your mother and I discussed some potential ways to go about this. You could do as the counsel suggests and follow the pattern of most other Prince's. Or, you could throw a ball, and choose the woman of your liking from among anyone present." He announced with pride.