Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Marston stepped into the house and let out a whistle as his eyes tried to take in all the finery at once. Damn, but he'd never even stepped foot in a place this nice and now it was gonna be his home—that was if Rose decided to let him stay after the ass he'd made out of himself.

He had to make her see that he was sorry but first he had to find the woman in this mansion of a house. He rubbed at the back of his neck deciding that he'd simply have to go door to door until he found her. The sound of crashing glass above his head had him jumping.

"Rose!" he shouted. When another crash followed the first, Marston found himself running as fast as his legs could carry him up the stairs and down a carpeted hall toward the source of the sound.

He tried the door knob to the room but it was locked. "Rose, are you okay?" he demanded, fully prepared to break that door down and save the woman.

"I'm fine, Marston. Don't pretend that you give a damn," snapped her voice from inside.

Marston heard something else shatter. "That's a hell of a thing for you to say to me," he stated bluntly. "Now let me in so we can talk."

"No."

Marston jaw tensed and he prayed for patience to deal with her temper. He had forgotten just how stubborn the woman could be when she was angry. Another crash came from behind the door and Marston frowned. Was she throwing things?

"Rose, please let me in. I'm sorry for the way I acted outside.. Let me talk to your face, please?"

"Oh now you want to talk?" she demanded. "Are you sure you don't want to accuse me of moving on with your brother again? Or maybe you'd just like to shoot me the same way you do everyone else who makes you angry!"

"I would never hurt you and you know that," Marston said, forcing his voice to remain calm even while he held his hands out and shook them as if choking someone.

"Just go spend time with your children, Marston, and I'll be down in a while."

Marston could tell by her sigh that her temper was fading. "I don't want to spend time with the children just now, Rose. I want to spend time with you. Now open this door or I swear on my own grave, I'll kick it down."

"Your own grave?" Rose asked skeptically.

"It exists," he assured her. "I've seen it." He laid his forehead against the thick wood separating him from his woman. "Now please let me in. This looks like a real costly door and I'd hate to destroy it."

Marston heard her soft footsteps come to the door and suddenly the barrier between them was pulled away. Marston took in the sight of her the way a man in the desert would take in the sight of an oasis.

Her red curls were falling around her face, having come loose from the pins in her temper. Her light skin was flushed and her heart shaped lips were set in a stubborn line. Her blue eyes sparkled like the clearest of autumn skies.

"Don't you dare do that," Rose snapped breathlessly.

"Do what?" Marston whispered, his gaze dropping lower. His eyes drank in the smooth skin of her throat, danced across the mole on her collarbone and fell to the swell of her breasts beneath the yellow fabric of her dress. The indent of her waist and the swell of her hips made Marston's hands itch to touch her.

He saw the trace of swelling in her stomach where his child was growing and Marston's heart swelled with emotions. Pride, love and joy all mixed together and so intense he nearly cried out.