TWENTY

"Sodapop Patrick Curtis. When I hear that name, or even think of it, my heart seems to nearly stop. I can't think of you without the ache in my heart physically paining me. So much can happen in only two weeks, can't it?

     You first got me with that smile and those baby blue eyes. That laugh. The way you blushed and tried to hide it when I smiled at you. How could I not fall in love with you? I fell in love with you over and over and over again.

     My biggest regret is not telling you that. When you laid on that table, all I could hope for was for you to be okay. I couldn't think. I only thought I'd get the chance to tell you later... I thought you'd pull through like you always did. I thought we'd have the future I've dreamed about since I was six years old. I never thought I'd have to say goodbye eighty years early.

But you knew I loved you, didn't you?

Sure, I've been in love before, but not like this. Maybe this is the first time I've truly been in love. You showed me what love is, what bravery is, and what pure joy is.

     I don't know how I got so lucky to have you... I just can't comprehend it, you know? You truly did change my life. Remember that night on the roof when you told me you would show me how to 'live'? I'm going to do everything for you. I'm going to 'live' the life you wanted me to have. The life you wanted us to have.

I know people are already telling me to get over you, that it was only two weeks, and that you're gone, but I don't really think you are. You're still here, I can feel it. You guided me home. I will never stop loving you.

I'll see you soon, Soda. Rest Easy, Buddy.

~ With all my heart,
                                           Stratton."

     I placed the letter next to his grave, and tears gently rolled down my face. The evening sun came from behind the clouds, illuminating the bright yellow flowers that laid there. I smiled up at the sky, with the safest feeling taking over my heart.

     What now?