Field Trips

When the old yellow bus chugs to a complete stop in front of the ancient building, a swarm of over-excited, over-exuberant five year olds come tumbling down the steps of the bus and pair off before following an older woman into the building. At the very beginning of the group is Aurora Castle, jumping up and down in pure, innocent, excitement while chattering away to her field trip buddy. "This is so much fun!! I wonder what we're gonna do." As she talks, she cranes her head back and forth looking for someone she knows.
"Aurora dear you need to keep up with the group, okay?" Aurora nods sheepishly at the teachers scolding and runs to catch up with the rest of the group as they file into a big room with a huge table and a bunch of chairs.
"Okay children, find a seat next to your buddy and sit quietly while we listen to Detective Esposito talk about being a police officer." Aurora climbs up into the chair at the head of the table and waves excitedly at her Uncle Javi, grinning proudly when he waves back at her with a laugh and starts talking. Aurora tries to pay attention, she really really tries, but she's just too excited about being here to listen. So while her Uncle Javi talks, she's looking around and peering out the big window behind her, curiosity taking over. And when she hears her Daddy's voice pass by, she's off like a rocket out the door. "Daddy!!!"
Luckily her Daddy's always had good reflexes so he catches his little girl without much of a stumble. "Hi butterfly. What are you doing here?"
Aurora grins and tilts her head proudly. "We're here on our field trip!"
Sure enough, when Richard Castle looks back at the conference room, there's his daughter's teacher looking a little embarrassed.
"Mr. Castle. I'm sorry about that." Castle smiles and shakes his head, offering the woman a polite smile. "Don't worry about it. Now butterfly, go sit back down and apologise to Uncle Javi for interrupting him." Aurora pouts and crosses her arms, her bottom lip stuck out in a stubborn pout.
"Hey Castle, what are you doing?" Behind Castle comes his wife, tapping away at her phone.
"Mama!!" Aurora jumps down and races at her mother, a broad smile on her face. Detective Kate Beckett slips her phone in her pocket and scoops up her daughter, shaking her head with an amused laugh.
"What's up butterfly? I thought you were at school."
Aurora nods and plays with Kate's hair absently, talking the whole time.
"I am. Today's our field trip!" Beckett peers around her daughter and spots the teacher, looking even more embarrassed than before. "Detective Beckett. Er, Mrs. Castle."
"Please, just call me Kate. Okay butterfly, you need to go sit back down. Daddy and I will come get you later tonight. Oh, and apologise to Uncle Javi." Aurora sighs dramatically and climbs down from her mothers arm, walking back into the conference room sheepishly. "Sorry Uncle Javi.." Aurora hangs her head as she scoots back into the hard plastic chair.
"It's okay Aurora." Her Uncle Javi flashes her a smile and starts back up where he left off. While she's trying to focus, the most annoying kid in her class leans over and pokes her side, questioning her intently. "Your parents are cops??" Aurora tilts her head proudly and giggles. "No, just my Mama. My Daddy's a writer. But my Uncle Kevin and my Uncle Javi are cops too. My Aunt Lanie works downstairs with the dead people." The boy blinks at her with wide eyes and sits back in his seat. "Whoa. That's cool." Aurora wiggles happily in her seat and grins. "I think it's cool too."