19. This time for real

Aria's POV

Nicky and I were staying in Las Vegas for a few days partying, drinking, playing. She always knew how to have fun.

It was a random evening in Bellagio casino. I was sitting at the bar drinking my cocktail when my phone rang.

"So you're not so dead after all, aren't you?" I asked sarcastically when I picked it up.

"Aria." Niklaus' voice sounded weird and I immediately knew something's wrong.

"What happened?" I asked worried. There was silence. "Niklaus!"

"Kol... He's dead." I felt like someone punched me in the stomach with all force. I prayed in my head that it would be an another lie. But deep down I felt that it wasn't.

"How... How did this happen?" My voice started cracking.

"The Gilberts' doing. Come home, Aria, we need you here." He pleaded.

"Okay, I'll come." I said and hung up.

I sat there looking at nothing, thinking about what I was just told. Finally, I stood up and searched for Nicky. I found her sitting in the corner on some guy's laps, while kissing him.

"Nicky." I got her attention. "I need to go back to Mystic Falls."

"What?! Now?!" She shouted.

"Yes. It's urgent. Sorry." I looked at her sadly. She sighed. Before standing up and walking to me, she compelled the guy not to go anywhere. She hugged me tightly and smiled at me when pulled away.

"Take care of yourself." I said to her.

"Of who else should I care?" She laughed. "Bye."

I only nodded and left the casino. I went back to my hotel room to pack and drove to the airport, where my private jet was waiting.

A little bit of me still hoped that it wouldn't be true... But I felt that this time was for real.

*********************

"Aria." Niklaus smiled, when I entered the mansion. "Glad that you came so fast. We have new problems and your help would be really useful."

Oh how I wanted to snap his neck.

"I came here not to help with the new problems that you've created, but to hear everything about Kol death and to make sure that the culprit is punished. And if you would like to know, I still hate you. So don't test me, Niklaus." I said harshly.

"Firstly, there's not need for that, because Jeremy Gilbert is already dead. And secondly, I I know and I'm sorry for that. But I know that you can't stay angry at me for long. " He had enough guts to smirk.

"Good to know that you took care of that." I ignored his last statement.

"I didn't." He said and was left confused.

"It looks like I've missed a lot." I sighed. "Please. Fulfill me with the information." I walked to the living room and plopped on the couch.

**********************

When Niklaus told me everything, he ask me to help Rebekah find Kathrine, who has the cure. I found my sister in law leaning against the car looking at her phone.

"Rebekah!" I shouted and she looked up at me.

"Aria! You came back!" She squealed from happiness.

"Of course I did." I smiled sadly. She understood what I meant and hugged me tightly. "Okay. That's enough of grieving. We need to find that thing."

"Nik asked you, didn't he?" Rebekah sighed and got into the car. I looked at her confused.

"Yeah, but why are you acting like that, Bekah?"

"Because he still wants to give the cure to Elena!" She said angrily. "While knowing that I want it."

"Rebekah, why would you want to be human again?" I was shocked.

"Because I want to create my own family. I always did."

I stayed silence. I actually understood her, but only a thought of her dying after her human life ends makes me wanna cry.

"Where's Elijah? I thought he was with you." Rebekah asked.

"He's helping one of his friends. It seems that they have some problems." She only nodded in response.

We finally reached the New York city and went to some kind of underground club, where we found Damon and Elena. I sat next to them and took Damon's drink.

"And what do we have here?" I spoke.

"Aria, long time no see. Is your husband here too?" He looked slightly nervous.

"Actually not so long. And no. He's not, but I came here with a friend of mine." I smirked and looked at me with a questioning look. Suddenly, Rebekah pressed Damon's head against the table.

"Following a lead without me? Poor form, Damon. I have to say I'm a little hurt, Damon. I thought we made a good team. Not without its fireworks, but what classic pairing isn't?"

"Wait. What the hell are you talking about?" Elena looked at Damon confused.

"Damon's following a lead to the cure. I'm following him and Aria is accompanying me. Notice your name never came up?" Rebekah asked sarcastically.

"You're doing what?!" Elena was angry.

"How does it feel to be wrong all the time?" Damon asked Rebekah. "I brought Elena here to feed. I mean, Mystic Falls isn't exactly vamp Xanadu right now." He tried to explain himself.

"Right. So you drove 7 hours to New York City?" Rebekah didn't buy his shit.

"Yes, and as I was explaining to Elena before we were so rudely interrupted, that my history in this city has a particular resonance to her current situation. When I had my humanity off." Damon told us a little bit about his being here with Lexi. But I wasn't really interested in his story so I barely listened.

"Wow. She sounds dreadful." Bekah said when Damon finished.

"She had a mother Teresa complex." Damon said.

"So let me guess. After many dark nights with Lexi, she convinced you to turn your emotions back on, and that's exactly what you plan to do with me." Elena rolled her eyes.

"You read the last page of a book first, too? I'm gonna get a drink, many drinks." He said and went away from us.

"So you really buy all this?" Rebekah turned to Elena.

"Not one bit. I know he's after the cure. I'm not stupid." I rolled my eyes.

"It's good for me if you're not stupider than Elena with humanity. Other wise, we would have a real problem." I smirked and Elena glared at me.

"Damon is like a dog with a bone. Stefan, too. They won't give up until they find the cure and then make me take it. So I guess I'm gonna have to find it first." Elena ignored my statement.

"You're playing him. I'm impressed." I looked at her.

"No. He's playing me. I'm just returning the favor."

"It looks like our little Elena is not so good anymore. Now I might even enjoy this this little collab."

**************************************************

Hey everyone!

Let me know what You think of this chapter by voting and commenting.

Thank You!💖