6: The Love

Atlast, the two girls slept; or at least each though the other was.
It was night, the time, she did not know, but Korra was tired, yet her mind stayed busy.

Her encounter with the princess had given Korra something to think about.

What will I do with her

How can I help her

But who was going to help Korra?

‘No one,’ she thought, ‘it's up to me to save me and her’

Her strong thoughts did nothing to fight against the loneliness darkness brings. All she could do, was cry. Cry for Opal, who undoubtedly did not survive. Cry for Jinora, who she prayed made it, but the odds were against it. She of course walked away from their makeshift campsite to sit on the pebbly bank of the nearby river.

Her sobs weakened her body, and she covered herself with her wings out of shame.

How could she be so weak?

She should be stronger-

-A hand pressed softly on her spine between her wings and she jerked around to see the princess, pale moonlight making her eyes sparkle.

The black haired, barefoot girl in baggy clothes knelt down to hold Korra. They stayed there for a minute, two, three, neither were counting. When Korra’s tears stopped flowing and she came to her senses slightly, she pulled away and noticed Asami was singing to her in the softest, most gentle voice you had ever heard

“even if you lost you can't lose the love because it's in your heart”

And for the first time since they met, Korra really looked at Asami.

She saw the sadness and loneliness in her eyes but the soft warmth that radiated from her smile.

She saw her neatly manicured hands and the strength in her arms.

She saw a woman that was the perfect balance of beauty and strength, and a woman who barred the weight of the world just like Korra.

Her heart burst with something she had never felt before,

But she’d never admit it what it was.

The word love brushed the back of her mind, like the kind of whisper that made the hair on your neck bristle. The idea was pleasant, to be in love…  She never had time to deal with those kinds of feelings. Korra was more worried about protecting her home and family and keeping the peace with other tribes. She had free time and fun, of course, but never enough to deal with that.

So, like she always did, Korra pushed back her emotions, and smiled a strong, but very fake, smile.