Chapter 6

Minnie directs me to Winslow Auditorium, with the assurance I'll find my belongings in my dormitory. "Now, hurry along. You have to register, and you don't want to miss the commencement ceremony. I hear it's going to be something special this year." She glances back toward the car at Margaret sitting there stiffly. "Now, I must go record the success of our outing."

"You're leaving?" I ask, thinking that she worked here at the school.

"Our offices are back in Boston. Oh," she says abruptly, patting her pockets. "I almost forgot, if you need anything consider me your official CWC, or magical liaison if you like." She leans in close. "I'm new. Please don't tell Margaret that I almost forgot to give you this." She passes me a thin coin with the same two wands crossed as on her badge. "Tap that three times with your wand, and I'll be in touch as soon as possible. Best wishes, Maija."

With that, she hurries back to the car and pulls away. I stand in the drive a moment, watching the red tail lights get smaller and smaller as though the tunnel of trees swallows them up and with it, my life as I knew it.

I turn in a circle, take a deep breath, and walk in the direction of Winslow Auditorium. I follow a path lined with pruned hedges, past a fieldstone building, another with columns, and several houses so overgrown with ivy they practically blend in with the forest bordering the campus. I'm starting to wonder if there are any other students here when a dull clamor issues from somewhere near a sidewalk covered by a stone archway, leading toward what must be the auditorium.

I pull open a heavy door as another closes on the opposite side of the atrium. It suddenly goes quiet.

A woman dressed in canary yellow sits behind a table and shuffles a few papers. When she looks up at me, her glasses slide down her nose. "You must be Maija Wessels."

I nod.

"We thought perhaps you weren't coming." She looks at me sternly as if this is a federal offense. However, thinking back to the letter I received and the conversation about the constabulary earlier, it said my attendance is required, so maybe in the magical world not showing up is a violation of some sort.

"Let's get you squared away." She passes me a green card, but doesn't let it go. "Here you'll find your dormitory assignment: Fiona Pennylegion House. Classes: the usual. Ah, and the seminal seminar. Hmm." She glances at me above her glasses and releases her grip on the schedule. "Well, it's all there on the card. I recommend you get in there," she points to the inner set of double doors, "because you do not want to miss the commencement ceremony."

When Minnie said as much, the ceremony sounded exciting; this woman makes it sound foreboding.

"Get a move on," she says, pointing at the door and getting to her feet.

She practically shoves me into the auditorium. "Find a seat," she hisses and flitters away.

I take a tentative step and the floor of the old building creaks. The room is relatively dark except for bands of tiny lights running in arcs along the domed ceiling. I can make out a lot of polished wood. The silhouettes of the tops of students' heads fill rows and rows of seats. I glance to my left, but don't see one available. To my right, there's a single open spot, but it's halfway in, meaning I have to squeeze by everyone.

What sounds like the low peeling of a bell comes from somewhere high above in the building. Without another thought, I hurry past the row of students and scramble to the open seat. I whisper apologies as the bell's ringing continues.

I plop down, slightly out of breath and with my cheeks flushed even though no one can see them in the relative darkness. The bell stops and it's even quieter than before.