Chapter 10: Gorman

I have begun to categorize the lesser creatures I found living alongside them. It seems that like the Jig weevil they have developed a crude form of husbandry.

He awoke as potent light streamed in from the window and it took a moment to orientate himself and remember what had happened. He dressed and washed from the basin in the room before headed downstairs.

Opening the common room door, he found Gorman sitting in his chair at the table. 'Good morning,' the old man said. 'Hungry?' he asked. 'There's porridge in the pot if you could bring me a bowl. Then come and join me briefly while I eat'.

Harl took two bowls and filled them both with a sweet smelling mixture. 'Here,' Harl said, placing the bowl and spoon in front of the blind man. Gorman felt and picked up the spoon.

Harl tasted the food, it was delicious. He said as much to Gorman, asking if Sonora's cooking was always as tasty.

'She's a good girl,' Gorman said, 'she has taken care of me ever since she was old enough. I am not her true grandparent for she lost both her parents when she was a little one and I took her under my care.' He scooped another mouthful from the bowl.

'I still had my sight then and I witnessed a great taking of people by the Gods.' He said the last word with a slight mocking sneer. 'My sight started to fail from then on and she looked after me in kind as I had done her. She is a clever one, I taught her much and she took strongly to the plants of the land and has grown an exceptional talent in the brewing of mixtures to ease the pains and sufferings of the people. You're fond of her?'

Harl didn't know what to say but under the man's blank gaze, he settled on telling the truth.

'She has been too kind to me,' he said, scooping out the remnant of the porridge from his bowl, 'And her cooking is far better than I have ever managed. She has a tenderness I have not experienced before. '

Gorman smiled at this. 'She is precious to me,' he said and Harl was about to say something about not having any intentions but after a moment Gorman cut him off. 'I am not saying anything other than she has a heart of gold but it is a lonely one.'

Gorman finished the last of the porridge in his bowl and Harl took it up and moved to place it on the kitchen side board.

'There are people in our land looking for you, Harl,' the old man said, gravely. 'You will need to answer their questions about how you came to be here. Myself and Sonora will vouch for your words and look after your needs in the meantime, but I would not suggest telling them all that you have told us. Many in this land are suspicious of the vision and anything that involves the Gods. From what you have said of your own land, it is similar there and I'd advise caution about what is told to the leaders here. They have seen the hand come down and it is not unknown to them that you're here. Sonora sent a message and we have permission to let you heal before taking you to see them. If you tell them all as you have to us then trouble will arise from it.'

Harl understood and he knew that he'd have to formulate a convincing story without causing alarm among these strange folk.

'So,' he asked, 'what should I say?'

'I'll think on it some more,' Gorman said, 'but in the meantime Sonora is outside in the woods. Head left of the vision from the house and you will find her in a small clearing where she grows her herbs. It will be good to have a strong pair of hands around for a while. Come see me later and we can discuss what to say on the next change to the people who are seeking you.'

Harl noted the word Change and realized that Gorman must have meant the time between light and dark. He left the house, stepping out into light of the forest and noticed that the light of this land was a subtly different hue to his own. The forest and grasses were a brighter green than that he had known, more lush and fertile.