Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

6.

"I'm telling you, Papa, it was humiliating!" Imelda's cheeks burn red as she stands with her hands on her hips. "She just outright insulted Ethii right in front of everyone!"

I stay silent, staring at the grainy wood holding the table together. My father's gaze burns into the side of my face as Imelda rants but he hasn't said anything. Imelda hasn't given any of us a chance to speak.

"Calm down, Imelda." Papa puts a hand on her arm. "You haven't given Alera a chance to tell her side of the story."

Imelda rolls her eyes. "That's because she's just going to play the victim like always."

I look up to stare at my father. He stares at me with kind, patient eyes – a stark contrast to Imelda's fiery gaze. I should tell them about Ethii and Krysta, I should tell them how Ethii restrained me and dug his fingernails into my skin, but when I open my mouth his words echo in my mind and the words get strangled in my throat.

I'll ruin you. I'll take your sister and leave you with nothing.

"See, Papa?" Imelda shakes her head, lips pursed as she glares at me. "She has nothing to say. She's not even going to apologise." She folds her arms in a huff. "You know what? I wish mother was here, she would've done something!"

"That's enough!" Papa's voice is stern and drops an octave, effectively silencing both Imelda and me as the air grows tense. "Don't bring your mother into this, Imelda."

I don't remember her, as she died from the flu when I was young, but both Imelda and my father loved her dearly.

Imelda collapses in the chair, wiping at her eyes. "Aren't you even going to tell Alera off? I tried to find Ethii all afternoon but he was nowhere to be seen. What if he doesn't want me anymore?"

Her vulnerability seeps through the cracks of her hard exterior, her blue eyes glassy as her bottom lip wavers. I reach towards her to take her hand but she snatches it away.

"I'm sorry, Imelda."

She sniffs, wiping her sleeve across her nose. "Thank you."

I shake my head, my heart skipping a beat. "I'm not apologising for what I said to Ethii. I - I caught him sneaking around the village with my friend Krysta last night." Her eyes shoot to mine, her eyebrows knitting together. "I didn't know how to tell you."

Papa puts his hand over mine. "Alera, that is a very serious accusation to make."

"I swear, papa, it's true," I stand, still staring at Imelda. She looks frozen in time, her lips parted and eyes wide and innocent. "Ethii said if I told anyone he'd make sure nobody would want to be my suitor."

Without a word, Imelda spins on her heel and disappears out the door, slamming it behind her. My heart pounds in my chest as I take a step to follow, but Papa halts me.

"Let her go, Alera."

"She doesn't believe me." I shake my head, trying to step past him. "And it's growing dark. You say yourself it is not safe to be out there alone."

Papa puts a hand on my shoulder, his eyes dark as they meet mine. "I will go," he says. "Go to bed, Alera. Alyx's memorial day is tomorrow."

And then he disappears out the door after Imelda. I let out a shaky breath, a chill prickling up my spine as the cool air brushes past me.

I blow the candlelight out and make my way into my bedroom. After changing, I clamber into my bed and lean my elbows against the window sill, gazing into the dotted sky as questions race around my mind.

Did Imelda find Ethii? Will he lie to her?

As the thought crosses my mind, a flicker of movement catches my eye. I immediately straighten my back, leaning further out the window.