Chapter Two - Blood Trail

Otravit Sange watched as a tall, thin man dressed completely in black scurried down the cobblestoned lane, moving carefully from one shadow to the next, making sure to stay out of the pools of yellow light cast by the few sparse street lamps. She had followed the vampire for blocks as he silently traversed the back alleys of this, the oldest part of Bucharest. After all of the twists and turns Otravit was lost, which meant that Harry probably was as well.

As she peered around the corner of a tiny barber shop doorway, Otravit noted that the lane ahead was a dead end. The cobblestones came to an abrupt halt at the wall of a three story rooming house.

"We've got him now!"

The harsh whisper came from behind and below Otravit and she turned to see Harry Potter slide into the darkened doorway to her rear. Harry was wearing muggle clothing consisting of a blue t-shirt with a picture of a roaring lion and the words "Millwall - no one likes us, we don't care" emblazoned on the front. A pair of blue jeans and brown loafers completed his disguise. Harry's glasses were slightly askew and his dark hair was matted to his forehead with sweat, hiding his scar.

Otravit held up a long, narrow finger and pressed it to her lips. "Shhhh," she breathed as she pointed her wand at their quarry. "Vatch..."

The vampire was now at the far end of the lane. The dark shadows combined with his black clothing in such a way as to create a highly effective camouflage. Had she not known where to look Otravit would never have seen him. The minutes crawled past, but the vampire seemed content to remain hidden, like a hunter waiting patiently in his blind for his prey to approach. She was just beginning to question whether her eyes were playing tricks on her when he suddenly made his move.

The vampire leapt from the shadows, high into the air as if shot from a cannon. He landed silently on the wall of the rooming house, clambered up the sheer vertical surface like a giant black spider and was about to escape to the rooftops when Otravit shouted, "Stoo-pify!" thrusting her wand forward and up vigorously.

A bluish river of light shot from the tip of her wand and hit the Vampire squarely in the small of the back. His entire body seemed to go rigid and he teetered precariously at the top of the wall. Slowly gravity took hold and he fell backward tumbling towards the pavement three stories below.

Satisfied, Otravit stood up and tucked her wand back into her gray jacket.

"Leviosa," Harry whispered, flicking his wand and emphasizing the 'Osa' as Hermione had instructed years earlier.

The Vampire's fall was arrested mere inches from the cobblestones and Otravit gave Harry a sour look.

"We're not supposed to kill him," Harry said, in answer to the look. "He deserves a fair trial."

Otravit stared at him in silence until Harry looked away. "Vat ee deserves is death, 'Arry Potta. An eye for an eye."

Harry stood his ground. "That's for the court to decide. We are not judge and jury, Otravit."

She looked at him with disdain. "Funny, I thought I vas teaching you Potta, not zee other vay 'round."

"Yes," Harry replied calmly. "But you're supposed to be teaching me to be an Auror... not a vigilante."

Otravit smiled and pulled her wand out of her jacket. "Sometimes, zee two go 'and in 'and, Potta," she said and pointed to the place where the vampire had fallen.

He was gone.

"Perhaps you are too kind'earted to be an Auror, Potta. Out 'ere kindness is a veakness."

Harry was about to retort when the vampire reappeared. He wasn't alone. Four more tall, pale figures also dressed completely in black had come to his aid and had arranged themselves in a circle with Otravit and Harry in the middle.

Otravit moved back to back with Harry and they turned together wands pointing from one Vampire to the next. The pale creatures began to advance upon them slowly, feeling the advantage they held in numbers.

Suddenly there was a flurry of movement to their left and Ron popped into existence on top of one of the vampires. Otravit immediately let loose a flurry of curses and Harry threw up a defensive bubble around them. Two vampires crumpled to the ground, and two others escaped to the rooftops in a hasty retreat. Ron grabbed the one he had landed on and hauled him to his feet, holding his wand to the undead creature's throat.

"Ron! Am I glad to see you!" Harry shouted.

Ron looked around in confusion. "Flippin' Hell Harry, what are you two doing?"

"Hunting Vampires.." Harry blurted.

"Potta!" Otravit hissed.

Harry squirmed uncomfortably. "Oh, right, that's supposed to be a secret."

Otravit looked at him with unveiled anger and grabbed the captured Vampire from Ron binding him with magical chains.

"What are you doing here, Ron?" Harry asked, hoping to defuse the situation.

"There's something happening at the Ministry, Harry. This... thing... it's gotten into your office. Kingsley sent me to get you. We have to go straight back!"

Harry turned to Otravit, "Are you going to be okay..?"

"I vill be fine, Potta." She answered, pointing her wand at the two fallen figures. They blinked out of existence and then Otravit disapparated with the remaining vampire leaving the two friends standing alone in the laneway.

Ron turned to Harry and gave him a crooked smile. "She seems like fun." He said.

Harry shook his head. "You have no idea..." After a moment's silence, they both burst out laughing, then joined hands and disapparated with a small pop.